Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Flop check

That doesn't change the fact that the SB has made a big bet, and the BB has called. KK is possibly ahead but by no means certain. I'd like to see a safe turn before making any big moves. You have position, so use it.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
, and add one more: checking behind here basically turns your hand face up and allows your opponents to play better against you on the turn and river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree and disagree at the same time. If a typical online 3/6 decent TAG type checks behind on that flop given the preflop action, I go "wtf????!!" It doesn't make a ton of sense b/c pretty much any hand that raised preflop is betting this flop. So I am not sure a check necessarily means big overcards unimproved...but I may be wrong.

--Rico
Old 07-12-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
KK is possibly ahead but by no means certain.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you only think KK is "possibly" ahead on this flop that you got a serious case of weak tight disease and need professional help.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:54 PM

i would bet the flop, hope it gets HU, check the turn UI and call a river bet most of the time.

theory-wise it can give your opponents too much info about your hand, while having the opposite effect upon you. this is of course assuming you don't do this with made hands as well. if you check behind in those spots as well there's more merit, but then you are often giving up too much value to allow for this on a regular occasion.

mainly though, i don't like it because we can often get to the river HU for one sb in a reasonable sized pot.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:33 PM

Like James said, bet the flop and you can often check behind UI on the turn.

Also, if you check it makes the turn much more difficult to play correctly since you have basically invited them to take shots at you.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:55 PM

With only 2 opponents and that rag flop I'd bet for being likely to have the best hand. It seems unlikely you'd get c/r'd there and if you do you can be pretty sure they have an 8, a set, or a spade flush draw.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:59 PM

You must bet this flop. Because 3-handed, you must bet this flop with an overpair; not betting here is pretty much turning your hand over & letting both opponents know that you're not interested unless the turn card hits you.

Checking through and then raising a blank turn card is even worse, as any player with half a brain is going to call BS on that move. The only way I could maybe see that line being worthwhile is if you were fairly certain that MP1 would check again on the turn and that MP2 would bet with any two cards.

Personally, I bet the flop & put some pressure on MP1 to fold his mid pocket pair/suited broadway. I know that MP2 is calling my flop bet, and that's cool. If I get the desired result (MP1 folds, MP2 calls), I can check through the turn UI & call a river bet depending on the final board.