Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 10:26 AM

Default Re: The Sexiness of a Lag - Little Theory/Article Xposted

nice article, i've been working on this aspect of my game alot lately...it can be an expensive lesson :P
Old 11-02-2007, 10:27 AM

I know I started concentrating on upping my W$WSF about 3 weeks ago or so. This was inspired by finally grasping what a lot of the PokerEV graphs meant. My graph basically had the green (winnings) line way below the red & blue lines. I saw a few sexy graph of people whose green lines were much higher (or above the other lines). I wanted this. I have actually gotten tighter lately (due to 8tabling since this is my "job" right now, whereas I used to 4-5table), but my W$WSF is up ~3.5% from 42'ish to 45.5. PokerEV says I'm running bad, yet my winrate is higher, so this is definitely a good possibility of why my winrate is higher.

BTW I hate articles like these for selfish reasons, but I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of people adjusting too much and just spewing money from all pores for a while [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2007, 10:42 AM

vn post slider

[ QUOTE ]
You have to think about the long-term. For example: a flop c/r is actually quite an expensive move. Sometimes a flop lead or a flop c/c and turn lead is better. So the true goal is not actually to win the most pots, the true goal is to maximize winnings.

[/ QUOTE ]

ajahn, this complements the op very well.

nh both of you
Old 11-02-2007, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ugh, I almost wish you didn't make this post tbh. Still, very well put and eloquently explained.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing new here that hasn't been said numerous before. No worries.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW I hate articles like these for selfish reasons, but I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of people adjusting too much and just spewing money from all pores for a while [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty unlikely. As long as you play tight, extreme post flop aggression is tough to combat.

Try going a bit beserk postflop and playing 20/17/6. Of course it's not optimal but it will still probably add up a winning style.

There again, 50/15/4 really is spewing from all pores.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:51 AM

all i need is a laggy card runners video today and the regulars will be playing terrible.

(i am not saying sliders article is terrible)
Old 11-02-2007, 11:55 AM

yeah, I don't really think this article does a very good job at explaining just how to increase your W$WSF% (although it does an okay job at advertising for your coaching site which was probably your only intent).

what kind of flop textures do you recommend bluff check-raising? against what type of players? what are some good spots to float?

basically your article says "checkraise bluff more, float more, just be more aggressive in general" but it really doesn't give any specific advice.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:02 PM

lol, stop trying to be ajfenix [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. Also, its so funny how trendy that # has gotten, as well as LAG, since truthfully, I see no reason a LAG has anyting to do with this. Its just being aggresive [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Whateva. <3 good article, but for the people who say they wish he hadn't posted this, I mean, your on a poker forum getting advice and giving advice, this is basically just the same thing, and seriously, if people didn't understand poker before this article, they aren't going to understand after :/. Its just a concise way to say whats been floating around this forum for the last 2 months
Old 11-02-2007, 12:04 PM

There's a really fine line between having a healthy W$WSF (basically, post flop aggression) and having win-every-pot syndrome.

The methods listed in the OP are all very good when used judiciously. But since we're trying to win money, not pots, we have to careful to apply them only at the right times.

This one sticks out particularly:
[ QUOTE ]
4. Against people who double barrel too often, checkraise semi-bluff the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Check/raising as a bluff has to work a high % of the time for it to be profitable. If you check/raise the flop, you've got much better FE because the threat of future bets can scare weak opponents into laying down hands like top pair. When you check/raise the turn, almost any made hand is going to call you, and also lots of draws 'cause they'll feel like they're pot commited.

Imo, you should mix between c/r flop, and float/bluffing turn. I'd probably only c/r turn when I'm semi-bluffing with a strong draw and I think there's a good chance villain has nothing.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:13 PM

ROFL Slider you don't have a clue