Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 09-07-2007, 12:51 AM

Default spike\'s junkyard dogs: a trip report (w/ pics)

so about a week or so ago me and a few friends, including rare 2+2 poster fatmongo, went to this place called spike's junkyard dogs. we went to the davis square somerville location for anyone interested.

they specialize in hot dogs, all different kinds of toppings and whatever. these aren't your normal hot dogs though. they are wicked thick and come on this big ass french bread bun, like half a sub roll or something.. i dunno, they are big.

anyway they have this thing called the "kennel club" where you have to eat 6 hot dogs (or more) in 90 minutes and you get your pic taken (with number of dogs eaten) and put on the wall, and also you get a free t-shirt. they also have a special section of pictures on the wall titled "top dogs", reserved for pics of people who ate the most. i guess if you beat the record all your dogs are for free too, so that's an added bonus.

anyway i've never even eaten more than one at this place. i'm not really the biggest hot dog fan first off, but recently i decided it's about time i joined the kennel club. fatmongo has done it countless times. spike's has a few locations around the boston area and fatmongo has his pic up in almost all locations. in fact i think he has at least 4 pics up on the wall at this davis sq. location alone. some of my other friends have also done it, so yeah it was about time for me to do it.

we took off on a saturday morning with empty stomachs, headed for spike's. on the way there we talked a bit about strategy. i really wasn't positive that i could even do it, so i was trying to think about what my best bet was as far as which flavor of dogs, order to be eaten, stuff like that. i decided that if i got all plain ones i would get sick of the taste of hot dogs too fast, so i figured i'd star out with some flavored ones (2 buffalo dogs and 2 57 t-birds) and finish it off with 2 plains.

we got there and informed the guys behind the counter that we'd be doing the kennel club thing. they don't allow you do leave the restaurant or go to the bathroom or anything, presumably so it's clear that you haven't vomited or anything haha..

since fatmongo has done it before his goal was to beat his personal record of 9, so he went up to the counter and ordered 10 buffalo dogs. i got my 6 and pretty soon we were ready to go.

here are the dogs all lined up:

mine

fatmongo's

anyway i guess i'll let the pics do the talking

things are getting tough for the both of us:

note the sign for somerville hospital in the background

the last bite for me

fatmongo finishing dog #8

posing for my pic, a moment of victory

fatmongo hits a serious brick wall

he ended up only doing 8. 2 dogs went uneaten [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] no double digits today mongo. still he got a shirt and another pic on the wall. note the nice gang sign style hand placement, representing the 8 dogs eaten

oddly enough, the "top dog" at this location was a chick. she had the record of 13 dogs. what's funny was we were talking about her while we were eating, and i made a joke likening her to billy mitchell from the king of kong movie, where they say "when billy walks into an arcade, everyone stands still". then like 10 minutes later, she walks in! weird coincidence. i recognized her immediately somehow and we got a pic

on the ride home fatmongo let us know he wasn't feeling to good, so we had to pull over to the side of the road for some relief

we also have some cell phone video of that incident but i don't think anyone wants to see that.

all in all i felt like it was a success for me, but not so much for fatmongo, especially after that roadside refund. he says anything less than double digits is a failure in his mind, but don't worry he'll be back soon enough.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:57 AM

Default Re: spike\'s junkyard dogs: a trip report (w/ pics)

Hahah well done. I have never soberly decided to eat at spikes. Although on a few occasions I have woken up with a bag of their food on my floor...although I have no idea what I ate and if it was good.

On the subject...anyone ever eat at Uburger? They opened one up near fenway...wondering if it was any good.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:58 AM

Some of those pics are hilarious lol... but no pics of the t-shirts??
Old 09-07-2007, 01:01 AM

Awesome, I love that your buddy keeps it real without the sleeves.

Fat free veggie dogs??!?!?!
Old 09-07-2007, 01:01 AM

there's one of mongo with the tshirt held up, and i'm clearly holding mine in my pic
Old 09-07-2007, 01:02 AM

yeah but a close up is necessary to determine the value of free t-shirt vs hot dug vomit
Old 09-07-2007, 01:03 AM

Old 09-07-2007, 01:04 AM

lol, definitely worth it

[ QUOTE ]
Awesome, I love that your buddy keeps it real without the sleeves.

Fat free veggie dogs??!?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that was the big debate.. do we go real dogs or veggie. but when you eat veggie ones they write on your pic "6 veggie dogs" or whatever, so F that.

fatmongo gang-signing 8 is too [censored] funny