Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 04:54 AM

Default QQ too passive?

As far as reads go, was playing at the same table w/ villain (BB) for over an hour, didnt play too many hands against him and saw him as a stronger player compared to the rest of the table. Me and villain went heads up for about 8 hands where I went on a small heater and took about 1/4th of his money before the BTN sat down.

As far as the hand itself, i thought i was most likely ahead, and put him on 10s or more likely AK. I felt villain was being maniac-ish after a bad run against me HU.

I think repopping preflop after BTN's raise would have been a smarter course of action, not sure what my line is if BB rereraises afterwards.

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 3 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

BB: $4.31
BTN: $1.18
Hero (SB): $9.64

Pre-Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
<font color="red">BTN raises to $0.06</font>, Hero calls $0.05, <font color="red">BB raises to $0.26</font>, BTN calls $0.20, Hero calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.78) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BB bets $1</font>, BTN folds, Hero calls $1

Turn: ($2.78) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BB bets $3.05 and is All-In</font>, Hero ????
Old 11-18-2007, 05:52 AM

Default Re: QQ too passive?

You should really 3bet QQ pre-flop. If he comes over the top then you can safely lay it down. Just calling leads to difficult decisions because now you are out of position with both of your hands undefined. Because he can always act after you it is usually too late to try to define your hand when you start to suspect something.

Here, BB is systematically building the pot in order to get it all in. This is what somebody would do who is convinced he has the best hand. Of course, he doesn't know that you have a fairly strong hand so you can not be sure how strong he really is.

It is a gamble now. If you think his range includes TT/AK then it is +EV to call.

Besides raising pre-flop you can't really do anything to stop him out of position. If you were in position you could try things like raising the flop to see how he reacts to strength.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:20 AM

I get what your saying about building the pot, but he overbetted the pot on the flop and turn, which partial made me think villain had a hand like 10s and was trying to push me out before overs hit, or he had a hand like AK and was just trying to bully me out of the pot because he didnt improve.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:38 AM

Stick around the forums because you really played this badly.

First, you need to 3-bet QQ preflop. You are going to be out of position on this hand and you have a monster. You don't want to make it cheap for your opponents to draw against you and you want to narrow the range of hands you think your opponent may be playing. Most importantly, you want to make money on your hand. That means betting and raising, not calling (usually).

Given that you didn't 3-bet preflop, you should have either:
1. Led the flop, and pushed over any raise
2. check/raised BB

Calling on the flop doesn't help you at all. You still have no idea what your opponents are playing, and your hand still has a lot of value because it it unlikely the flop improved them.

Checking the turn doesn't help you either. But since you've found yourself here, you are compelled to call BB's push. Your hand still may be good, and if it was good enough to call the overbet on the flop, then it is good enough to call the overbet on the turn.

You need to get the money in the middle hard and fast with these types of hands, while narrowing down your opponent's range as much as possible (you do this by betting and raising, not checking and calling).
Old 11-19-2007, 01:52 AM

Looking back, i agree with you Quester. I thought about this hand for a good 36 hours before posting here, wondering about my play and villain's range. In hindsight i definately misplayed this from PF and onwards.

Also, i'd like a little more feedback on what 2+2'ers think villain's range is in this hand, considering i havent played too many hands against villain (but have been at the same table w/ villain for over an hour), he seems like a decent player, and he went on a bad run against me HU the last ~10 hands before the debated hand. I hadn't seen villain make any plays like this at all during my duration at the table, which made me believe at the time that i was most likely ahead.

Thanks for any help
Old 11-19-2007, 02:10 AM

Oh man, raise everywhere. You have played it so incredibly passively. 3 bet button, 4 bet bb. CRAI all in on the flop and call all in on the turn. Your hand is serverley under-repped not that your opponant is likely thinking of your hand.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:12 AM

imo villains hand is likely 99+ AK or AQ, if he is very aggressive maybe pairs down to 77.

i think you played the hand too passively, i dont necessarily mind the call preflop as a change of pace but i would def lead/c/r flop- however you got villain to get his money in and you are probably ahead imo. if he has KK or AA money is probably getting in anyway you play it anyway.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:36 PM

On the turn, i called villains all in, the river was a brick and he mucked at showdown. i thought about what his holding might have been for about a day before checking hand history, and he ended up having AKo. I think my read at the time of the hand of villain just trying to bully me out instead of build the pot was correct, but i definately shouldnt have been so passive in my play.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red">Stick around the forums because you really played this badly.</font>

First, you need to 3-bet QQ preflop.

You need to get the money in the middle hard and fast with these types of hands, while narrowing down your opponent's range as much as possible (you do this by betting and raising, not checking and calling).

[/ QUOTE ]

Good stuff, thanks Questor. I think I need to put the stuff in red on a sticky and put in on my monitor.

I've been bobbing for 5 maybe 10k hands playing much too passively.