Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2006, 08:51 PM

Default Contributing to the Two Plus Two Internet Magazine

As the new editor of the Magazine, I'm asking for opinions on how to improve it going forward.

However, one change I know I want to see is the inclusion of more Omaha/8 strategy articles. The Magazine hasn't had a single Omaha/8 article since it's first issue in January, 2005. Considering Omaha/8 is probably the most popular non-hold 'em game, this is a glaring omission.

So, I'd like to encourage all the Omaha/8 forum posters who have an article idea to make a submission to the Magazine. Feel free to contact me (via PM or e-mail) before doing any writing if you want to discuss the article in advance.

All authors who get published recieve $200 per article.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Contributing to the Two Plus Two Internet Magazine

Why would we want to ruin games that are already really good for us?

The last thing I want is a bunch of TAGS filling up seats in my games. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I'm sure we've got some guys with the ability to convey good strategy into writing. Not sure if they're willing to divulge that info though. The potential loss in EV at their tables probably outweights the $200 article fee.

Congrats on the new position and best wishes.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:50 PM

There has been a longstanding myth that putting information in the public domain will "ruin the games". Doyle Brunson wrote Super/System nearly three decades ago and yet poker is better than ever.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:17 PM

Buzz should write an article about probabilities, odds, counting outs and all that math stuff. He's great at it.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There has been a longstanding myth that putting information in the public domain will "ruin the games". Doyle Brunson wrote Super/System nearly three decades ago and yet poker is better than ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
Both Sklansky's and Miller's books have made holdem games harder to play. You need to be more of an expert today to make the same earn as two years ago, at least in the online world. The vast majority of players wouldn't figure out optimal play without someone taking them by the hand and showing them.

BTW congrats on the position, this is great news for us readers.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Both Sklansky's and Miller's books have made holdem games harder to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're assuming too much. Ed's SSHE book has sold well for a poker book. But, how many of those buyers do you think have (1) read the book thoroughly, (2) apply the information properly, and (3) are actually in your game?

The vast majority of poker players have never seriously studied the game. Many who do study still lose.

I think history shows that if you put information out there the much more likely impact is that it draws new players into the game. That's good for winning players.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:31 PM

Quoting Ray Zee's foreword in Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players, by Sklansky and Malmuth:

[ QUOTE ]
The book you are holding, written by David Sklansky and
Mason Malmuth, has had far-reaching effects on the poker world.
Simply put, since the original edition of this book, hold 'em has
become, on average, a much tougher game to beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyway this isn't the place for this debate, and I don't wish to discourage articles for your magazine. But I caution those who want to write detailed, little known information about correct play (as opposed to articles about aspects of correct play, or discussion of specific hands), that it will affect the games, particularly PLO8.

PLO8 is unique in that it currently contains huge numbers of awful players with no clue how to play, and is the most profitable game at comparable stakes. It's also the game with the least published information. I don't think that's a coincidence, especially given that less skill is required for PLO8 than hold'em.

Limit O8 is a more complex game with a different skill set and a few articles are unlikely to make a difference.

That's not to say that I ever hold back with advice (I don't), but having a published reference guide for new players as opposed to an in forum discussion are two very different things.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PLO8 is unique in that it currently contains huge numbers of awful players with no clue how to play, and is the most profitable game at comparable stakes. It's also the game with the least published information. I don't think that's a coincidence, especially given that less skill is required for PLO8 than hold'em.
. . .
That's not to say that I ever hold back with advice (I don't), but having a published reference guide for new players as opposed to an in forum discussion are two very different things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this entirely, FWIW. PLO8 is simple relative to NLHE. The number of totally clueless suckers playing PLO8 at the highest limits online is amazing.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:31 PM

My Thoughts:
-Books/information in my opinon have done way more good for the poker world, than bad.

-People don't bust as fast with some knowledge, & many times they get short term false hopes that keeps them coming back (even after they know they're losers).

-Many people simply do not have the emotional or mental facits to play the game, no matter how much knowledge they have.

-Many people gather just a little bit of information (i.e. PF play) & never move on after that. In LHE, that'd probally make a game tougher. In PLO8, this could be a huge leak.

-Many intangibles can not be taught extremely well: Adjusting to other players, hand reading, etc.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:37 PM

I was very happy to publish Buzz's submission in the September issue. It's exactly the type of article I'm hoping to receive more of (especially by Buzz).

As I've said before, I want O/8 articles to be a regular feature of the Internet Magazine.