bet/3b 5 41.67%
check/raise 1 8.33%
bet/fold (NITS) 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Re: STTF SNG->cash thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
looks standard to me, but i am a nit & fold pf til i have reads on the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of read are you looking for on the blinds before deciding to open this from the button?

(Serious question, not a ball bust.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care who is in the blinds when to open A7s here. The question is, do I 4-bet, call or fold if 3-bet...
Old 10-22-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
First orbit at the table... no history with SB. This is totally standard, yes?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $119.50
UTG+1: $38.65
CO: $93.65
Hero: $98.50
SB: $52.75
BB: $100.50

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $3</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($9, 3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $6</font>, SB folds, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $27</font>, Hero folds.

[/ QUOTE ]
looks standard to me, but i am a nit &amp; fold pf til i have reads on the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of read are you looking for on the blinds before deciding to open this from the button?

[/ QUOTE ]

idk, i just like to establish a tight image for the first few orbits. i've been playing nl25 tho' mostly where there are a lot of calling stations, and nittier seems to work better for me. at nl100 or higher i would raise this every time. that's why i initially said it was standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I would play K7s the same way, check the turn when called unless I pick up my flush draw, bet/check/call river depending on stuff. Do you think that's that too aggro for NL100?

Why would you want to establish a tight image at a table full of calling stations? My impression is that you don't care if you seem nittier at lower levels because no one notices and pays you off when you have a hand anyway.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:36 PM

Default Re: $25NL top pair turns 2 pair

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think I need a lesson on what these stats mean:

low VPIP means tight so if they're in the hand they likely have a hand, while high VPIP means loose and they could have anything.

If pfr% is low, when they raise they likely have a hand, if it is high and they raise they could have anything.

If Tot Aggression is same as pfr, but relates to all streets.

Is this correct or is their more to it?

[/ QUOTE ]

The post flop aggression factor is something like a ratio of raises and bets vs calls. An aggression factor of 1 is not very high which means that guy probably has you beat.

and yes , you have the right ideas on vpip and pfr.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is a good post about aggession factor.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks. that was a good read
Old 10-22-2007, 03:42 PM

What image you give off is really should be a combination of things.

First, the table. Does it even matter if you establish an image? Are they paying attention and/or can they adjust?

Another is you comfort level. If you are going to create a loose image, you are going to have to play off that image. Meaning, you are going to have to put your money in in thinner spots. This is going to be higher variance and cause you to make more difficult decisions. So, if you are not comfortable with this, playing tight is your best option.

Finally, your cards will actually matter. Some times you just don't get cards good enough to even create a lag image.

yesterday I was playing 31/24 on one table while playing 10/5 on another. I combination of reasons account for this. At the 31/24 table, I had a lot of tight nits behind me and loose donkies that play weak tight post flop to my right. On the other table, I had a guy to my left that was a &gt;50% vpip and calls &gt;50%cbets, so I was forced to play tighter. I took 3.5 buy-ins off that guy playing tight [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you want to establish a tight image at a table full of calling stations? My impression is that you don't care if you seem nittier at lower levels because no one notices and pays you off when you have a hand anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's mostly true I think.

I think the only time you can use image to your benefit against most nl25 players is if your image is LAG.

You don't even have to be LAG, you just have to raise something like 5 of your first 10 hands. Then you can turn into a rock and some of these guys will still be aiming to "teach you a lesson" 100 hands later.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
looks standard to me, but i am a nit &amp; fold pf til i have reads on the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care who is in the blinds when to open A7s here. The question is, do I 4-bet, call or fold if 3-bet...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I would normally raise this every time regardless of reads and was wondering what kind of read would change this in case I was missing something.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I would normally raise this every time regardless of reads and was wondering what kind of read would change this in case I was missing something.

[/ QUOTE ]

what devin said... i am more comfortable being nitty(i play mostly fr). it's more about what will happen after i bet, that's when reads become more important. i'd rather stay out of marginal situations til i have at least a little info on my opponents.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's mostly true I think.

I think the only time you can use image to your benefit against most nl25 players is if your image is LAG.

You don't even have to be LAG, you just have to raise something like 5 of your first 10 hands. Then you can turn into a rock and some of these guys will still be aiming to "teach you a lesson" 100 hands later.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with this in theory. in practice what happens is you splash around some $ and then have to win it back. i prefer not to start in the hole.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:46 PM

Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

BB: $34.15
UTG: $24.80
Hero (CO): $29.85
BTN: $22.45
SB: $11.65

Pre-Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (CO)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1</font>, BTN calls $1, 2 folds

Flop: ($2.35) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $2.25</font>, BTN calls $2.25

Turn: ($6.85) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero...?</font>

No reads yet.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:48 PM

$5.50. Very good chance you are ahead here, so you need to protect your hand.