Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 11:09 AM

Default Re: In light of the AP scandal, do you think such cheating is commplac

...MUCH MUCH MUCH more common than most of the ostriches who make up 99+% of the on-line fish-tank would ever be willing to consider...
Old 10-22-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Re: In light of the AP scandal, do you think such cheating is commplace?

Short answer = yes.

Long answer = most definitely, yes.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:18 PM

Default Re: In light of the AP scandal, do you think such cheating is commplace?

And in all seriousness, this was from a group of old frat buds from little old SAE, Montana Beta Chapter! My old stompn grounds. all we did there was drink, smoke weed, and **** chicks. can you even comprehend whats been going with the REAL smart guys. have you ever read any of Ben Mezrich's books. i can't wait to read his next one on how the cal tech, or mit guys took online poker for tens of millions of dollars year after year. but that book won't be written for atleast another 10 or so years. trust me--this whole AP thing is nothing but a "needle in a haystack" as far as online cheating goes. a couple of extra lines of code to open a back door to view hole cards-NO PROBLEM
Old 10-22-2007, 03:39 PM

Cheating can happen in brick and mortar so it's certainly possible online. I don't think these type of cheating events, high profile and for big stakes, happens a lot though.

I do think automated "bots" are possible and probably likely, but they have yet to invent the true "end game" piece of software that can always win in the various situations, so I'm not worried too much.

Simple fact is someone trusted with security blew it. It's gonna happen over and over again. No different online than in real life. But it's no reason to think _your_ game is rigged when you lose.

Personally I don't think it was as "easy" as people like to believe. From everything I've read it looks like multiple machines were compromised, specifically ones that send card information to clients. Knowing that this system was designed to be "hacker free" I doubt this was a walk in the park. But it's definitely a leak. If a server that knows _all_ hole cards is compromised, what can you do?

IMO this is why the software that runs these sites needs to be opened sourced. There will be leaks found by the public and fixed. Not hidden away and brushed over by corporations worried only about the bottom line.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:46 PM

I'd disagree with jakpanda. I would have been difficult for outsiders to pull this off, but it wasn't an outsider. It was somebody living in the CEO's house. I think it is more likely than not that it has been relatively common on Absolute for a while and wouldn't have come to light, but for the cheater getting slack.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:43 PM

Wow.
I guess there are still people that are buying the AP explanation.
Are there still people that believe that this was somehow done by one person only?
One dude magically found a way to do it without anyone at AP knowing?
Do you also believe the magic bullet theory that killed JFK?

You would think that of all people the poker players would be the hardest to manipulate....
Old 10-23-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow.
I guess there are still people that are buying the AP explanation.
Are there still people that believe that this was somehow done by one person only?
One dude magically found a way to do it without anyone at AP knowing?
Do you also believe the magic bullet theory that killed JFK?

You would think that of all people the poker players would be the hardest to manipulate....

[/ QUOTE ]

In another life I was involved in computer forensics. It is not difficult at all for someone on the inside to pull this off. Operative word == someONE.