Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 11:26 AM

Default confused with a rivered straight

What I am really struggling with is the river, but feel free to tell me that I have screwed it up on an earlier street. Any input is very welcome.

5/10 5-handed online

Hero ($970) in the CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Bad loose player ($700, 60/7/0,9) limps UTG, Hero raises $50, TAG regular ($980, 20/14/2,2) calls on the Button, Blinds fold, UTG calls.

Flop 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($165)

Bad player checks, Hero bets $120 (anyone not cbetting here?), TAG calls, bad player folds.

Turn K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($405)

Hero bets $220 (Ok? I thought this should deny him the odds to profitably call with a draw and this should also make him fold most pocketpairs. But I was afraid to be bluffed on the river and not being able to call with my A-high. If he calls and a blank falls, what would I do?), TAG calls.

River 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($845)

Finally I rivered something, what to do now? Fire a small bet? Check and call most bets? Check and fold? In the hand I thought that there is no value in betting (wrong? I dont see a worse hand calling), but I also thought that this is a spot where villain will not bluff his busted draws because I should often have a straight here - which means that there is no value in checking either. Another problem with checking is that if villain bets i may have to call to split the pot with him, but I may also be beaten by a better straight. If you ask me about his range and if there may be A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]x[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in it, unfortunately I cannot tell you because I dont know. Its possible, I think. This is how the river went, and I am still confused about it:

Hero checks, TAG bets $333, Hero grumbles and finally calls.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:46 PM

Default Re: confused with a rivered straight

It may sound funky but I'd be tempted to push after he bets the river. I'm almost certain he doesn't have a 6, but may well have an ace so even though the chance is small he could possibly fold it for ~$300 more, unlikely I know but it's so unlikely you're behind it's got to be worth a shot.

Other alternative would be to shove the river, you had a hard time calling with an ace so he'd have a tougher time calling a full psb with one. Of course you don't get any value from him bluffing but you may take a pot that you would otherwise have split.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Re: confused with a rivered straight

I like shoving at once, thanks for your reply. Shoving the river, combined with the preflop, flop and turn action, represents 66 only, and he will indeed have a hard time calling to split the spot.

I find it hard to believe in a check/push. If I had anything better than the low straight, why would I have checked it on the river?

In the hand he had 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] of course [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]