Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-29-2007, 09:21 AM

Default Football Coaches: The Hiring Process

When coaches are fired and new ones hired, the trend of late seems to include a "debate of racism."

The Black Coaches Association always receives publicity this time of year that always ends with Athletic directors, school presidents, and universities being criticized for not including black coaches in the search for a new hire.

Most recently, Texas A&M's athletic director had to issue a statement explaing the interview process and why no black coaches were on his "short list" of possible hires.

I am not racist and think there are some great black coaches out there that are very deserving of head coaching jobs (ie Michigan's defensive coordinator and South Carolina's defensive coordinator), but the truth of the matter is "the cream will rise to the top." The Romeo Cornell's, Randy Shannon's, Dennis Green's, Sylvester Croom's will find a way on to search committes list if they are deserving and capable. This has nothing to do with the color of skin!
Old 11-29-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Football Coaches: The Hiring Process

The B,

Thanks for this thread. I find it both interesting and thought provoking. Also let me point out that I really enjoy you as a poster. Keep up the great work. As for your view, I would challenge your certainty that "this has nothing to do with the color of skin." How exactly do you know this? It seems to me as if you have a preconceived viewpoint(racism is not the reason for a lack of black coaches) and you're reaching for points to support it when in reality you have no idea(nor do I or most on this forum). Regardless, I hope you really enjoy watching the bowl games this year. For us college football fans, its a magical time of year. Sit back and enjoy my friend- you deserve it.

Love,
Assani
Old 11-29-2007, 10:31 AM

I had the opportunity to speak with Ray Anderson, then VP of the Atlanta Falcons and now (I believe) NFL Executive VP of Football Operations. I asked him why the rule was in place that NFL teams had to interview a black coach. This was right around the time that the Lions were hiring Steve Mariucci - they knew he was the guy they wanted and didn't bother giving other interviews. Seemed to make sense. If the coach who you really want is available, why go through a bunch of token interviews?

What Mr. Anderson said made sense. It's not that a black coach will get interviewed, blow everyone away, and get hired. Of course, that might happen (Jim Mora, Jr. surprised the Falcons in his interview - I don't believe he was the front-runner at the time), but it typically won't if it's essentially a "courtesy" interview.

The importance of interviewing a black coach is for that coach's advancement down the road. When teams are looking to fill a coaching vacancy, they will talk to other executives and coaches around the league to get some input. If, say, the Lions had interviewed a black coach even though they knew they were going to hire Mariucci, they still might have been very impressed with that coach as the result of the interview. When another team calls Matt Millen to ask if he has any recommendations, that interviewee's name very well could come up. Then, that coach will get the chance to legitimately interview for a head coaching spot.

Additionally, people who were involved in the interview process will inevitably take positions with other teams. When those teams have new openings, they will remember the coach who really impressed them in the "courtesy" interview and possibly give him a shot at the job.

Plus, the "token" interview allows the candidate to gain experience interviewing for a head coaching position and get feedback so he can go into the next interview better prepared.

Basically, it's all about networking and contacts. Giving someone a chance to make a positive impression now (even if there is no real intention to hire the guy) can help them in the future as the good word spreads.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:34 AM

The networking thing is a great point, and I think shows some of the weakness in the "cream will rise to the top" theory. The NFL hires many retreads (Norv Turner, come on down!) over and over, not necessarily because they're any better than anyone else but because they're in, people know them, feel comfortable with them, etc. So you have to do things like this to break the cycle and get more black people into the upper circles. Then they too can be tired wornout retreads, passed from team to team without merit, like many white coaches. And then we will have overcome our race problem in NFL coaching.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had the opportunity to speak with Ray Anderson, then VP of the Atlanta Falcons and now (I believe) NFL Executive VP of Football Operations. I asked him why the rule was in place that NFL teams had to interview a black coach. This was right around the time that the Lions were hiring Steve Mariucci - they knew he was the guy they wanted and didn't bother giving other interviews. Seemed to make sense. If the coach who you really want is available, why go through a bunch of token interviews?

What Mr. Anderson said made sense. It's not that a black coach will get interviewed, blow everyone away, and get hired. Of course, that might happen (Jim Mora, Jr. surprised the Falcons in his interview - I don't believe he was the front-runner at the time), but it typically won't if it's essentially a "courtesy" interview.

The importance of interviewing a black coach is for that coach's advancement down the road. When teams are looking to fill a coaching vacancy, they will talk to other executives and coaches around the league to get some input. If, say, the Lions had interviewed a black coach even though they knew they were going to hire Mariucci, they still might have been very impressed with that coach as the result of the interview. When another team calls Matt Millen to ask if he has any recommendations, that interviewee's name very well could come up. Then, that coach will get the chance to legitimately interview for a head coaching spot.

Additionally, people who were involved in the interview process will inevitably take positions with other teams. When those teams have new openings, they will remember the coach who really impressed them in the "courtesy" interview and possibly give him a shot at the job.

Plus, the "token" interview allows the candidate to gain experience interviewing for a head coaching position and get feedback so he can go into the next interview better prepared.

Basically, it's all about networking and contacts. Giving someone a chance to make a positive impression now (even if there is no real intention to hire the guy) can help them in the future as the good word spreads.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a very very good post.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The importance of interviewing a black coach is for that coach's advancement down the road. When teams are looking to fill a coaching vacancy, they will talk to other executives and coaches around the league to get some input.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I don't understand...white, black, latino, etc coaches all want interviews to help with advancement down the road, so why is it only neccessary for black coaches??? this doesn't make sense...why is there no White Coaches Association? or Mexican Coaches Association?

Edit: great post dlk9s
Old 11-29-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why is there no White Coaches Association

[/ QUOTE ]

How old are you?
Old 11-29-2007, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why is there no White Coaches Association?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd guess because there's no history of widespread discrimination against white people in this country such that there are almost no white people in certain high profile jobs. If inertia is part of the continuing problem, then you need to do more than "nothing" to remedy it. Norv Turner doesn't need help getting consideration.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Norv Turner doesn't need help getting consideration.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, but young assistant coaches and coordinators that are chomping at the bit for their chance at a head coaching position do (ie Eric Mangini 2 years ago or Kiffman last year)
Old 11-29-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why is there no White Coaches Association

[/ QUOTE ]

How old are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

old enough to know this is [censored] and that it won't be long before Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are heading up search committes for head coaches