Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 11-23-2007, 04:57 PM

Default HU 25/50 really weird spot deep

Villain (aba20) and I have quite a bit of history and after losing a few fairly big pots previously, I was definitely sure that he was tilting at the start of this hand. Now, I don't always 3bet AAxx against him, but given the flow of the game, I thought there was a good chance that he might 4bet and we could get it in preflop. Anyways, this is a bizarre hand because he is usually pretty tight and would never, unless on bizarro-tilt, check-raise turn with anything but the nuts (and I obv have the blocker)... How would you guys play this on every street and what hand range do you put him on here?

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $50 BB (2 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($18859.50)
BB ($9620.50)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $150</font>, BB calls $100.

Flop: ($300) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $250</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $750</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2000</font>, BB calls $1250.

Turn: ($4300) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $7470.5
Old 11-23-2007, 05:11 PM

Default Re: HU 25/50 really weird spot deep

this is really strange, and i'm really curious.

The fact that you have the Kc and that he won't likely do this with a Qhigh flush makes it more likely that he has a set; your raise on the flop could've convinced him that this isn't how you play the nut flush, although this is certainly how *I'd* expect you to play the nut flush.

You have an eight and a king, which hurts if he does have an underflush.

Tilting opponents are much more likely to put you on a bluff.

Brian has to know that check-calling the turn with 88 is terrible; he does not know this about the Q high flush.

Brian understands that against your turn c/r calling range, he'd much rather have a set then a low flush.

He has no particular reason to put you on AA, given your 3betting range, but it has to be in the back of his head; this one might incline him to play an underflush fast. Not sure how heavily this weighs, though.

All told I think his range is either 88/77, probably with a flush blocker, or is a small-mid flush that has some kind of minor redraw. I think the 88 is enough of his range (it only needs to be 20% or so, and it might be significantly more) that this is a call; the most important factor to me is that a set fairs much better against your calling range then a flush does.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:16 PM

Oops, for some reason I had thought that I 3bet it here preflop.. Damn it, that just makes this hand so much weirder...

edit: He'a also not usually pretty tight; don't know why I said that either.. He plays a very smart LAG style with very high AFs on all streets.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:39 PM

I think this is an underflush almost always. His (Brians) line (I think) is designed to get action from as large of a range as possible that Gordo can have in the event that Brian is up against a higher flush. I would be very suprised if he turned over a naked set, which would most likely be bottom set given Gordos hand and the board.

Also, I think Brian might view Gordos range after the flop reraise heavily corrolated to Sets or Higher Flushes. Brians flat call on the flop might of been to see if the turn paired the board before he committed the rest of his stack against Gordos percieved range of Sets/Higher Flushes.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:04 PM

well u need to call 4.5 to win 14.8 so you dont need to have the best hand very often.

isnt 2nd best both ways, ie QcTc8x8x a very probable hand?
and he goes "[censored] it he could have the K with a set and semibluff hardcore and if he has the K-flush i probably have outs would be so sickly rigged #%#&amp;/¤/ if he has me both ways".
Old 11-23-2007, 07:01 PM

Im position I, really considering call flop, reraise turn line. Cause I think it bether represent nuts in position. And it get more value when he is out of line, look less blufsy.
Your range is obvs huge here raising button HU.

As played Its a crying call.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:54 PM

i think it's a fold, although it's obviously closer if he's in a weird mood. 1) a big part of his range is something like a small/medium flush with 2 pair or a set. 2) from his perspective, it's pretty unlikely that you have the nut flush, and the king of spades on the turn makes it even less so. 3) he probably expects you to play AA exactly the way you did here, and there are more combinations of AAxx here than there are of Kcxcxx -- especially since a lot of the latter either won't raise preflop or won't 3-bet the flop. 4) you'd like to think these combine to mean he'll be putting big moves on you, but more often than not i find it means he's just going to commit his stack with a weaker holding (which still has you crushed). since he probably doesn't expect you to fold AA, he probably has it beat.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im position I, really considering call flop, reraise turn line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line too. the turn will usually go c/b/f, b/r/f, or c/b/r/r/f.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he probably expects you to play AA exactly the way you did here

[/ QUOTE ]

what????

why would he ever expect me to play AAxx like this when its this deep? or ever really?
Old 11-23-2007, 09:29 PM

1. Work on your game selection skills.
2. I don't mind your line, but I would be betting full pot on turn to commit myself should he decide to take it to the felt.