Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2007, 01:02 AM

Default How much electricity is needed to cause you to feel a \"kick\"?

I'm wondering how much electricity is needed to cause you to feel a "kick" as it passes through your body. Is a small battery enough? I was always said it wasn't.

The thing is I got this new lighter, it looks just like a regular plastic-butane one in size, only the mechanism is slightly more complicated. It has a slightly different trigger and it uses an electrically produced spark to ignite the gas.

The thing is, as I pull the button down to light up, if my index finger is covering what looks like a ventilitation opening that's just in the spot where the gas and spark are supposed to mix, it gives me a little kick in this finger Though if I cover the spot with something like a rag, I get an even smaller kick in my thumb, which is touching part of the metal mechanism.

Now because of the size of the place where the battery is, it can't be larger than your average $20 electric watch's battery. I can't actually see what kind of battery it is.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:09 AM

Default Re: How much electricity is needed to cause you to feel a \"kick\"?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm wondering how much electricity is needed to cause you to feel a "kick" as it passes through your body. Is a small battery enough? I was always said it wasn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes a small battery, like a AAA, could do it. You need to step up the voltage with a transformer. As a kid, I shocked my older sister like this using a small battery and a transformer I pulled from a clock or radio or something.

Stu
Old 12-01-2007, 01:57 AM

Default Re: How much electricity is needed to cause you to feel a \"kick\"?

disposable cameras have a pretty cool electrical charge in them, but you'll have to destroy the camera to get to it.