Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 11:45 AM

Default big pocket pairs???

the Villian had a VP$IP of 50, PFR=0, & I don't show an aggression factor in PT--after 22 hands. I get Bullets on the CO and there are three limpers. According to Hoyle(er. Harrington) I should raise 3-5x the BB + 1BB for every limper. I find that when I do this I discourage action. . . so I have decided to raise it the same way I would raise suited connectors. So slap me on the wrist.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.01/$0.02
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $2.35
UTG+1: $3.92
Hero: $1.64
Button: $4.97
SB: $1
BB: $2.76

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $0.02 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $0.03)</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $0.06</font>, Button folds, SB calls $0.05 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $0.11)</font>, BB calls $0.04 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $0.16)</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.04 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $0.2)</font>.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($0.24, 4 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets $0.08</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.08 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $0.32)</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $0.3</font>, SB folds, BB calls $0.22 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $0.7)</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.22 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $0.92)</font>.

I am not a member of check-raise/ slow play sets club--especially aces, and even more especially on a two tone board. When I read super system I had an Ahhh-Haaa moment when Doyle Brunson said what you need to be careful of whenver an ace comes on the fall.
Given my stack size, Do I:
a. bet between 1/3-1/2 the pot
b. bet the pot
c.overbet the pot
d. Push all-in?

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($1.14, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $0.08</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.08 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $1.22)</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $1</font>, BB calls $0.92 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $2.3)</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.92 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $3.22)</font>.

This card is not terrible for me unless someone held 6-7, but like Doyle says the next card could always give someone a straight.

How much do I raise?

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($4.14, 3 players)
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero is all-in $0.28</font>, BB calls $0.28 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $4.42)</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises all-in $2.56</font>.
Uncalled bets: $2.28 returned to UTG+1.

When I took a shot at the $50 NLHE most of my c-bets won the pot. Here I get check raised on the river a large percentage of the time. That was just about one of the worsts cards besides the 11 club, but why fold the rest of my stack.

Results:
Final pot: $4.98
Old 10-10-2007, 11:49 AM

Default Re: big pocket pairs???

You should be making the same size raise....my raises are always 4xBB +1 BB per limper no matter what. I would haveraised to .10 here. Am i reading this wrong because it looks like your already all in on the river.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:55 AM

You're right I looked at the replay wrong but I knew i was toast when he check raised.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:00 PM

So what did he have then?
Old 10-10-2007, 12:54 PM

$0.10 is standard pf. raise more on the flop ~0.5 prob a little more. you should be shoving this turn.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:56 PM

Harrington advice is really geared toward tournaments, which has many other considerations that are not present in cash games. Pretty much as wingchunflush indicated, 4xBB +1 BB per limper is a good starting point, making adjustments from there as table conditions warrant. At NL2 it's very hard to thin the field pre flop anyway, esp at a loose table so you should raise even more pre flop there.

With 2 interested parties on the flop already, I would proably raise more, slowplaying here would be out of the question, not only on texture of the flop, but the amount of people in the hand, you have to thin the field, I would raise to around .4 - .45 or so. Now a turn a push would be a no brainer to that pointless donk bet, it pretty much is anyway as you played it.

Believe it or not I don't get check raised on the river very often at NL2, and I usually believe Villain when he does as they normally show down a very strong hand. Here the check raise is completely irrelevant as you should have already been AI, or as you played, so close to it that folding is not an option anymore.

You really should consider playing with a full stack, there isn't much value in carrying a such a short stack, esp with all the bad players at NL2.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:24 PM

in .1c/.2c games a raise to 6 will get u a 3way/4way pot 60-70%% of the time so raising it to at least 8c is a must, you don't want a 4way with aces.

As played I push the turn.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the insight TTstrangler. I find that I actually do better with a short stack in these games. The reason is these people are difficult to read and some of the games are very aggressive becasue they don't care about losing $1. IF the game is bad or I'm not playing as well as i could i lose the minimum and if it's good game and i'm playing well I ussually build a big stack.

What I found whenI bought in for the full $5 is that I'm ussually much deeper than most of my opponents. I'm risking $5 against five opponents risking $1. This puts me in a situation where I can lose more than i can win.

Consequently, I never buy in for the max unless 80% of my opponents also have the maximum amount of money in front of them.