Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 11:38 AM

Default head\'s up draw

I think this is how I'm generally supposed to play head's up with a good draw. Am I doing anything wrong?

My opponent stats are 64/21/I don't know how to find the AF after 28 hands. He played pretty pasivly and called a big bet at the river earlier with a second best hand.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.02/$0.05
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $4.58
UTG+1: $10.29
Hero: $7.15
Button: $4.16
SB: $5.30
BB: $0.89

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG (poster) checks, UTG+1 calls $0.05 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $0.07)</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $0.15</font>, 4 folds, UTG+1 calls $0.1 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $0.27)</font>.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($0.42, 2 players)
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $0.3</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.3 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $0.72)</font>.

I like to bet out at these flops if there are one or two people involved. Because of my positon is it better to check here? (in fear of check raise) MAybe this is a bad question because I don't think this guy knows what a check raise is.

Turn: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($1.02, 2 players)
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $0.55</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.55 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $1.57)</font>.

I pick up a few more outs. I don't know how to read people like this. I figured he had an ace, but I'm thinking. . . a rational person would have raised with an ace at some point. Take a free card or bet?

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($2.12, 2 players)
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero is all-in $6.15</font>, UTG+1 calls $6.15 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $8.27)</font>.

Results:
Final pot: $14.42

I almost find it hard to believe that someone would call an all in bet with this board. A lot of times this prevents me from making a huge bet with a huge hand at the river and I opt for a smaller value bet. I'm starting to think this is ussually incorrect at these levels. It might be better to go all in or at least overbet the pot because you're more likely to get called. IF i could get a better estimate of how oftren the all in bet is called i could calculate the EV, but I'm not sure yet. What do you guys think?
Old 10-11-2007, 12:20 PM

Default Re: head\'s up draw

Raise more PF. Typically 4BB + 1BB per limper is advocated on these forums, so that's raising to 0.25 here. This will work to isolate an EP limper, who is usually weakish.

That being said, your hand is at best a speculative hand which benefits from high implied odds, which often require small PF bet sizes and multi-way action. I don't know how much I like raising that hand. The only saving grace is that stacks are deep, so you do have decent implied odds. Overall the raise is meh. If I play here I may just limp along as well since UTG has shown an ability to pay off on later streets, so we can build the pot later if we want to.

I like the flop c-bet because it's a semi-bluff, and you also rep the Ace, which gives you a good amount of FE. If you hit it's not obvious and you'll likely get paid pretty well.

The turn card doesn't change anything from the villains point of view. Since villain calls flop bet, I expect him to call a turn bet as well. Especially if he is as passive as you say. I take a free card here for this reason.

Once you hit, I think the overbet is fine. I use it a decent bit as it arouses suspicion and will actually increase the probability of a call as you say (on a fair number of occasions anyway).

NH overall. For future reference it's best if you don't post results. Post the action all the way through the river decisions (whether or not he calls your bet) but if you put results people will read them before they post and their advice could be biased towards actual results. The main benefit of this forum is that peeps give you advice with the same info that you had during the hand, so you get to learn how strong(er?) players think through hands. Posting results can rob you of this.