Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Need help with my game

Hi, i just recently started playing pokerstars and ive lost about 200$ playing stupid crap like heads up matches, i've been playing 1/2 cent ring games but i cant seem to get it straight or biult up my roll. I have no clue how to win online, what should i be doing? what should i read? You guys have any advice?
Old 10-09-2007, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Need help with my game

Read this forum, the micro nl forum, the full ring forum, and bbv4life. No just kidding, dont read bbv4life. Discipline, learning, and being ready to be wrong and improve are important. Im sure everyone can attest to that.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:53 PM

I think you should spend more time working on you game then playing your game and Two Plus Two is a great place to start.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:24 PM

Dont play anything fancy. Play ABC poker only. Fold almost everything in the first few positions and open up as you get into later positions. Try playing a few sessions where you raise or fold before and after the flop, try not to call so much.

also pick a game and stick to it, dont jump around full ring, 6max, heads up and sitngos. pick one and stay with it until you become a winner.

set yourself a challenge for eg.

play 100 $1.20 sng's then review how you played
play 1c/2c 6max games until your bankroll = 20x the buy in for the next level. If you find you are losing then post some of your hands up on here and people will be more than willing to comment on where they see you could have played it differently.

good luck
Old 10-09-2007, 09:31 PM

yea everything he said and play even tighter. you can play so tight in poker against bad players its insane. so play so few hands you head begins to explode, then start to see where you can increase that amount to make money and not before.
and dont play any shorthanded until you know what you are doing. good luck.

and read my stages of a poker player in the mag.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:01 PM

Thnx ill try these tips out.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:09 PM

Though I'm fairly new myself, I can definitely attest to the wisdom of picking one game and style and sticking with it until you're decent at it. The lessons you learn doing that will allow you to adjust to different types of games. Trying to learn them all at once is brutal. Which is not to say you shouldn't try several types of games when you're starting, to find the one that you enjoy and seem to play best at, because that's the one you'll enjoy well enough to keep playing and learning. I tried ring games, and got killed. I tried single-table tournaments, and hated them. I tried multi-table sit 'n go tournaments, and I like them. So that's where I'm doing my learning and practicing before I try to branch back out. Find what works for you and go with it.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:01 AM

I agree completely with what others have said. You should pick one game and try to master it. HU and 6 max games are more difficult to master. I would start with the .02/.04 full ring games online. This is probably the cheapest way to learn. Stay at until you have a solid winning record. Sticking with that game for a while you will also learn about variance. Even the best poker players have lots of losing sessions. It is important to understand the difference between running hot with a few good winning sessions, and really being a long-term winning player.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:21 AM

What would people say here about a HUD and pokertracker for the lowest limits?
Old 10-10-2007, 08:45 AM

I`ve read on these boards before that a HUD is no use at the micros.

I just cant agree with that.

Any info you can get on your opponents is more useful than no info and even if you dont know what it all means yet when are you going to know if you dont have it?

People still play lag/ tag in the micros
they still c-bet, fold to a c-bet
they still attempt to steal and fold to your steal
They go to show-down and win x% of the time
etc
etc

same as they do at 100NL

you need to know whats going on. a HUD can tell you

Have i sold that or what?

Its possible/probable somebody might find it difficult to have all the little boxes everywhere when they`re still trying to learn how online games play and if thats the case i would recomend only using the pop up box.

there`s a post about what stats to have displayed and why by pokey. It might be in the uNL sticky.

I have to run or i`d link it myself