Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 05:38 PM

Default AK hits top two pair, faces heat on the turn...

This was maybe my 10th hand at the table against an unknown player. I am kinda in a bind on what to do on the turn here... Only thoughts on the player was that he has played about 5 out of the 10 hands and calls down light...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

SB ($24)
BB ($25.35)
UTG ($42.90)
MP ($28.55)
CO ($18.10)
Hero ($25.65)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.25</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $1.

Flop: ($2.85) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $3</font>, Hero calls $2.

Turn: ($8.85) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets $8.5</font>, Hero?
Old 09-24-2007, 05:48 PM

Default Re: AK hits top two pair, faces heat on the turn...

Bet a little more on the flop. Turn is weird, but I'd call and see how the river looks. It's possible he has something like A9 or K9, but why he bets out the turn instead of going for a c/r is kind of odd (most donks slowplay a big hand like a FH.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:49 PM

I'd shove here. AQ is a very likely hand for him to have. I don't think A9 bets here, that being said him having a 9 doesn't make sense period given his flop play. We are good most often here.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd shove here. AQ is a very likely hand for him to have. I don't think A9 bets here, that being said him having a 9 doesn't make sense period given his flop play. We are good most often here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't agree that A9 or K9 wouldn't play this way. I'm getting a lot into the pot with those hands here.

I'm not saying villain has that hand, just that plenty of villains will play those hands strong.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:56 PM

Does anyone else 3-bet the flop c/r?
Old 09-24-2007, 05:57 PM

Only thoughts on the player was that he has played about 5 out of the 10 hands and calls down light...

If that's the information we have here, there's nothing that leads me to definitively believe he won't try to slowplay his hand and go for a check raise when the board pairs. I know it's possible, but imo its unlikely
Old 09-24-2007, 05:59 PM

Does anyone think I should be 3 betting the flop or is my call good here to set up the turn? (granted the turn got a little wild...)
Old 09-24-2007, 06:15 PM

I think a 3 bet on the flop is a good play, the villain obviously likes to mix it up.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:29 PM

Flop bet size is too small. It's been said, but it's important because it's the only thing that's producing any awkwardness. If you bet 2 on the flop, he raises to 6, call, then pot has 15 in it -- less than a psb left for him. Another problem when betting small, smart villains are going to notice you're betting small with the goods. No fun when that happens, especially when you cbet and get c/r'ed.

Calling the c/r with position is fine. It's WA/WB, and you've got position. Let him bet off his chips if he's behind. Obviously, we're going all the way with this hand no matter what falls.

Pushing turn or just calling is a negligible decision -- he's probably pot committed, so pushing is fine. If you think he's capable of bluffing with air, you can call and hope they continue betting the river. Any Ax hand is calling thinking of the split, and any hand that is beating you is getting your money anyway and you've only got 0-4 outs.