Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Official Brandon Webb Consecutive Scoreless Innings Thread

[ QUOTE ]
terrible gimmick account since the bulldog is on record saying that he loves webb

[/ QUOTE ]
I was lying.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
terrible gimmick account since the bulldog is on record saying that he loves webb

[/ QUOTE ]
I was lying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, not bad.

Realistically, it seems REALLY improbable that he breaks it at this point, but I'll certainly be watching his next game.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather win a perfect game than come close to this record. If it were a perfect game vs. actually beating the record... then I'd have to think a bit harder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? A perfect game is only one win, and is largely due to variance. 42 consecutive scoreless innings is several wins and slightly less attributable to variance.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do we care when people hit for the cycle?

EDIT: Or get a royal flush, for that matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because people are stupid, and selfish? 42 scoreless is way more valuable to your team than 9 perfect. But you're right, if someone scoops a giant pot with a RF, then goes busto three hands later, nobody would remember he went busto.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:38 PM

Don't worry, Orel, you'll always have this:

Old 08-18-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather win a perfect game than come close to this record. If it were a perfect game vs. actually beating the record... then I'd have to think a bit harder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? A perfect game is only one win, and is largely due to variance. 42 consecutive scoreless innings is several wins and slightly less attributable to variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because people are stupid, and selfish? 42 scoreless is way more valuable to your team than 9 perfect. But you're right, if someone scoops a giant pot with a RF, then goes busto three hands later, nobody would remember he went busto.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point about the royal flush was really more about WHY the royal flush is the highest ranking hand. This relates to why cycles are cool. The royal flush isn't any more unlikely or "harder to achieve" than any other random hand, but its amazing because OMG THEY ARE ALL THE SAME SUIT AND IT MAKES A STRAIGHT. Same with the cycle. There are many accomplishments that are just as difficult as a cycle (getting two doubles, a triple and stealing first would be WAY less likely) but we like the cycle because it is...neater.

There are lots of things that are more valuable than a no-hitter, like 20 quality starts or something like that, but we don't all celebrate those because they aren't as neat as a perfect game or a no-hitter.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, this is NOT a story yet.

Have him get within 9 innings of the record, then it's a story.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The Diamondbacks' Brandon Webb is tied with Rube Foster for the major leagues' 12th-longest consecutive scoreless-innings streak. The longest streaks since 1940:

Orel Hershiser, Dodgers, Aug. 30-Sept. 28, 1988, 59 innings

Don Drysdale, Dodgers, May 14-June 8, 1968, 58 2/3

Bob Gibson, Cardinals, June 2-June 26, 1968, 47

Sal Maglie, Giants, Aug. 16-Sept. 13, 1950, 45

Brandon Webb, Diamondbacks, July 20-present, 42

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-18-2007, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The point about the royal flush was really more about WHY the royal flush is the highest ranking hand. This relates to why cycles are cool. The royal flush isn't any more unlikely or "harder to achieve" than any other random hand, but its amazing because OMG THEY ARE ALL THE SAME SUIT AND IT MAKES A STRAIGHT. Same with the cycle. There are many accomplishments that are just as difficult as a cycle (getting two doubles, a triple and stealing first would be WAY less likely) but we like the cycle because it is...neater.

There are lots of things that are more valuable than a no-hitter, like 20 quality starts or something like that, but we don't all celebrate those because they aren't as neat as a perfect game or a no-hitter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I get why a perfect game or cycle is cool. That guy I was quoting said he'd rather win a perfect game than go 42 consecutive scoreless. I was pointing out the selfishness/stupidity in that. I'm pretty sure he would agree, but hey, people would remember him for that one night of perfection!!! Awesome! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I get why a perfect game or cycle is cool. That guy I was quoting said he'd rather win a perfect game than go 42 consecutive scoreless. I was pointing out the selfishness/stupidity in that. I'm pretty sure he would agree, but hey, people would remember him for that one night of perfection!!! Awesome! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, thats a good point. It is definitely selfish, I suppose, but I guess it depends on what you think the ultimate "point" of sports really is. If its winning games and only winning games, then yes, its selfish. If its glory, achieving milestones, making history, or providing entertainment, I think you can make a pretty good case that a perfect game really IS better. As a KC Royals fan, right now, what would you rather see, your team win the next 5 games or your team throw a perfect game and then lose the next 4? I don't think there is a right answer to this, but I think a lot of people (including myself) would vote for the perfect game.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] the d-backs

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, I did not know this about you. You're OK by me kyleb, I don't care what Assani Fisher says.

That game was a pleasure to watch last night. Also, CROWN THEIR ASS.

[/ QUOTE ]

you didn't know that i liked the dbax? interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]
To be fair, I'm pretty sure you like their players and their system, not necessarily their locale or team by default. I mean, Seattle by way of Cleveland, I can't imagine why you would have allegiance to the team otherwise.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:14 PM

30 straight quality starts or something obscene like that would be awesome too. There's no one saying the two type of stats like that are mutually exclusive.