Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 05:41 PM

Default girls who play poker - a turn off for guys who don\'t play poker?

lately, it seems that guys that i've met haven't been all that interested in me, ever since i started playing poker. i think it may be because these guys think i'm a degenerate gambler, because they don't understand poker. i just graduated from college and i'm unemployed; i only play poker right now. do you think this is something that a lot of people would not respect?

i'm a really honest and straightforward person, but i think the next time i meet a guy i'm interested in, i'm going to hold off telling him about my poker playing until we get to know each other a little. or maybe i have no choice but to stick with dating fellow poker players.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:46 PM

Default Re: girls who play poker - a turn off for guys who don\'t play poker?

I think this is something that's common to both sexes. How would you expect many girls to react if they met a guy who was a professional poker player and not someone they'd seen on TV? A lot of people don't understand the game and assume you're a degen if that's how you plan to earn your bread.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:57 PM

yeah, that's true, since stereotypically females are more concerned with their partner's profession and financial standing. i can see how a lot of girls would find it a turn off that a guy plays poker for a living, and is not famous for it.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:59 PM

I think most guys are sufficiently shallow that they could care less what you do for a living or whether you even have a job. Or maybe that's not shallow? I don't know.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think most guys are sufficiently shallow that they could care less what you do for a living or whether you even have a job. Or maybe that's not shallow? I don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that one changes depending how you throw the light on it.

But it's very true that men usually don't care what kind of job a woman has. In fact, men tend to marry women with worse jobs than they have themselves. Women at their own level or above are usually looking for something better.

OP, if I were you I'd worry that guys might think your poker playing is only a "pretend" job like actress, that is so often really just treading water until you find some dude to support you. This could be a turn-off.

So maybe be careful to emphasize that you have a schedule, and plans, and study the game, and financial goals you're serious about. A lot of poker players brag about how they can do whatever they want whenever they want, how balla they are and how they don't care how much stuff costs. That might look worse on a woman because an unmotivated, unrealistic woman looks like a forgotten birth control pill waiting to happen. That or easy prey. You probably don't want to look like either.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But it's very true that men usually don't care what kind of job a woman has. In fact, men tend to marry women with worse jobs than they have themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]Actually, that shows men DO care what job a woman has.

I was actually surprsed when my single female attorney colleagues were telling me that many guys are scared off by the fact that they are attorneys (presumably because they don't want to date a woman more "successful" than they are.) They actually don't tell the guys they meet they are attorneys until a few dates have occurred.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:04 PM

No, that's not how and why it is working. Women tend to marry upwards, because they can. Far more than men, they are the sex that does the choosing. As the choosers, by generally choosing men with better jobs and/or social status than their own, this leaves men for the most part viable marital partners only to women with worse jobs and/or social status than their own. Men, unless up toward the top of the social hierarchy, where they may be entirely oblivious to it, learn this through experience quickly enough. Many more probably want to date and marry women of their own "level" or higher, or do so without regard to social levels at all, than do, but realize it's not likely to work out, or to work for long. Men know that women with better opportunities will generally take them. So they tend to to go where they are wanted rather than waste their time.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:38 PM

actually,

as far as social class, most studies indicate that women tend to marry down MUCH more often than men do. income of course, is a horse of a different color. but men tend to marry within their own class or up.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:33 AM

poker is dirty, and the ppl who play it are dirty.
Ppl will quickly judge you.
I wouldnt be attracted to a chick that played poker. (LIke imagine she bowls or something).

Bing a poker player, I go googoo gaga for girls who play poker. I'd bang Kathy Leibert
Old 07-30-2007, 09:23 PM

If you're looking for an upside, post this in OOT and see how many damn marriage proposals you get.