Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Man kills 2 People While 911 Is Telling Him Not To

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ElSapo-

I don't know...

How do you claim self defense in a potential life threatening situation that you voluntarily entered? If his personal safety was really his top priority, he would have stayed inside.

[/ QUOTE ]

so what you're saying is that if a hot chick wears a short skirt and a tube top and then walks around East Palo Alto at night, it's not rape if she gets raped.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a better analogy would be a hot chick going inside the private residence of a known sex offender, then claiming she had to kill him before he assaulted her.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ElSapo-

I don't know...

How do you claim self defense in a potential life threatening situation that you voluntarily entered? If his personal safety was really his top priority, he would have stayed inside.

[/ QUOTE ]

so what you're saying is that if a hot chick wears a short skirt and a tube top and then walks around East Palo Alto at night, it's not rape if she gets raped.

[/ QUOTE ]

This analogy seems absolutely terrible. If I go to kill somebody, and they start fighting back, I don't see how that changes what I've done from murder to self-defense.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:26 PM

This guy is a hero. Now we can't know exactly what happened in the front yard but he definitely gave those criminals a warning to stop before he shot them. He also said they lunged at him. He sounds like a law abiding citizen so I'm inclined to believe him. He was on his own property protecting himself. Why should he let a few low life thugs keep him from walking outside his own home? I'm sure his neighbors and the entire neighborhood is very thankful as well. Now all the criminals know that those people look out for each other and have guns. Better to stay away from robbing in that neighborhood.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think a better analogy would be a hot chick going inside the private residence of a known sex offender, then claiming she had to kill him before he assaulted her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I see what you're saying here and it makes lots of sense. Once those criminals trespassed on the shooter's property, the property became the criminals' property and not the property of the shooter.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This guy is a hero. Now we can't know exactly what happened in the front yard but he definitely gave those criminals a warning to stop before he shot them.

** How do you know this ** ??

He also said they lunged at him. He sounds like a law abiding citizen so I'm inclined to believe him.

** lol?**

He was on his own property protecting himself. Why should he let a few low life thugs keep him from walking outside his own home? I'm sure his neighbors and the entire neighborhood is very thankful as well. Now all the criminals know that those people look out for each other and have guns. Better to stay away from robbing in that neighborhood.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't tell if this is a level or not.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Valuing consumer electronics over people's lives is exactly the sort of thing we need to be locking people up for.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree here.

I hate to be racist or value one person over another, but these 2 burglars arent exactly model citizens. They are a leech on society, and they are certainly going to rob someone else. Who knows if they are armed, and if they will harm someone else while robbing them?

I really can't blame someone for killing 2 thieves.

[/ QUOTE ]

i used to think you seemed like an ok guy. this post is horrific.

your point is not that they posed an imminent threat and the guy had to defend himself. your point is that they were bad people so who cares if someone shoots them. just wow.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Valuing consumer electronics over people's lives is exactly the sort of thing we need to be locking people up for.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree here.

I hate to be racist or value one person over another, but these 2 burglars arent exactly model citizens. They are a leech on society, and they are certainly going to rob someone else. Who knows if they are armed, and if they will harm someone else while robbing them?

I really can't blame someone for killing 2 thieves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you're not really valuing one person over another, you're valuing a Tivo over two people. If there was a person being threatened here it's a totally different conversation.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:52 PM

Boris,

What if the guy felt no danger at all, but knew that if he did not shoot them the guys would escape.

If his intent was solely to shoot them to keep them from getting away with this theft (ie: he was protecting his neighbor's property, not himself), would you still consider him a hero?
Old 11-28-2007, 03:57 PM

I don't understand some of you guys at all, except from an emotional "Violence is always bad" perspective. I especially don't get the gun control angle. Shotguns are legal everywhere. I live in one of the most restrictive jurisdictions anywhere and people have them.

The guy called the cops. The cops weren't going to get there in time. If he was watching his neighbor getting raped, voluntarily "entering a potentially life-threatening situation" would have been perfectly justified. Refusing to enter a dangerous situation you are completely prepared to deal with is pussified.

The fact that it was thievery and not rape or murder he was preventing complicates things. If the theives were trying to burn the house down, I'd have intervened. Light his car on fire, I'd have intervened. But if the car was a $200 beater, maybe not, because I would understand the possibility of having my hand forced and people dying over somebody getting away with torching a beater isn't worth it to me. But I could understand somebody else coming to a different conclusion.

With a home invasion, it's a little confusing, but I can certainly understand where someone might come to the decision of stopping the theives.

I also understand his reaction to the 911 operator who (foolishly, IMO) said "You're going to get shot." Someobdy with a shotgun and the drop on the theives is probably not going to get shot. "It's not worth somebody getting killed over, we're almost there" might have played better.

Once he went outside, I have no idea what happened apart from the fact that it appears he told them to stop. Given he called the cops, and gave a verbal warning, and is the guy looking out for his neighbor rather than robbing him, he certainly gets the benefit of the doubt from me. If it turns out they froze and he just murdered them, he should pay the price for that. But jumping to that conclusion makes zero sense to me given the facts. They probably did something stupid and got shot. That's unfortunate, but their own fault. Don't be stupid.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm confused... Were the robbers armed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Robbers by definition are armed. Otherwise they are burglars.
Closed Thread