Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 01:08 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.
Default Re: Swap Links

I got really good at skiing when I was a little kid. However, when I got older I tried to snowboard. I have no real natural front and back foot so I just feel super uncomfortable skateboarding/surfing/snowboarding. All other activities are fine, just I dont have a "front foot" at the ready.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no real natural front and back foot so I just feel super uncomfortable skateboarding/surfing/snowboarding.

[/ QUOTE ]

i would consider having "no real natural front and back foot" a big advantage snowboarding and skateboarding.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:05 PM

I, like Xanta, have a background in FIS racing so I'll try to come in and check on this thread from time to time. Through highschool I think I spent more time traveling to/competeing in races than I did in school in the winter months.

Maulik,

As far as books go, given you have a solid grasp of the fundamentals I would recommend The Athletic Skier by Warren Witherell. The book is a bit dated and comes from a racing point-of-view, but most of the information is still relevant to anyone who wants to further their progression as a skier. It really harps on getting a stance alignment from a good boot-fitter (which is something I recommend to everyone reading this thread). I haven't really seen any other books that I've thought are worth any time.

As far as maintenance goes, if you're just going out-west a few times in the year just get a pre-season tune-up. They'll set you a mild base texture, touch up your edges, and give you a general middle of the road wax job. Getting into tuning your own gear takes a fair ammount of reading on the subject, can cost a pretty penny (that's not to say it can't be done economically because it can, but if it weren't for connections I have my tuning kit would cost upwards of 5k; half of that in wax alone), and requires a space you don't mind [censored] up with p-tex/wax/metal shavings/etc. The sum of these thoughts is that its not really efficient for your now-and-again skier to set up a tuning shop in his basement. If anyone is still interested though, I am also willing to give my thoughts.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:13 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have no real natural front and back foot so I just feel super uncomfortable skateboarding/surfing/snowboarding.

[/ QUOTE ]

i would consider having "no real natural front and back foot" a big advantage snowboarding and skateboarding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Either way feels unnatural, but at the same time I can do okay either way. It just feels too weird. FWIW i am ambidextrous at pretty much everything since my dad is a lefty and I'm a righty, so he taught me everything his way, then I learned to do it my real way.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:22 PM

Anyone here done Snowblades? They're like normal skis, just shorter:

I've actually been using them instead of skis for the past 4-5 years, and love them. They're great for every type of terrain except really deep powder, but are still decent.

A pair is only like $100 to buy, I dunno about renting. I suggest you guys try them out for at least a day on your next ski trip, gives you more balance practice and is a nice change of pace.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:58 PM

I'm going to try to improve my snowboarding this winter. The one time I've snowboarded before this I remember my toes being really sore and feeling cramped by the end of the day. Is this normal? Is it just conditioning? What can be done to avoid this?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:58 PM

Imsakidd if that isn't a carefully constructed joke I think I'm going to die laughing.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:05 AM

Imsa, I gues your stacks aren't the only things that are short! Zing! And I seriously hope you were kidding.

I just got this setup:

My Sticks

And I can't wait to use them. 188's 103mm at the waist with NAXO NX21 bindings. Its my first touring setup. All my previous back country experience has been hoofing it but its been oh so worth it:

MMM 14k Foot Beer

Do any of you have some tips, advice or stories to relay about BC skiing? I just started last season with 3 14er summits and ski descents and I'm looking forward to it actually snowing here, ugh.

PS. I have a probe, shovel and beacon

Edit: I don't know why my images aren't displaying, I guess I'll make them links.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Imsakidd if that isn't a carefully constructed joke I think I'm going to die laughing.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahaha
Old 11-09-2007, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It actually flew way over my head as I made the post. I'm slightly embarrassed as well as laughing my ass off right now. Someone xposted it in the MSNL bitch thread, rofl.

EDIT: obv not a joke