Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2006, 02:35 PM

Default 3 hands from Bellagio 1k

This is my first live tourney and it's probably pretty obvious.

I've been playing very tight, and before these hands had been pretty card dead. Attempted a few steals with marginal hands and folded to aggression post-flop almost every time.

All of these hands were at 400/800 ante 75. There were 11 players left (out of 68), and 9 paid. Average stack was about 31k although two huge stacks were on the other table. Prior to the first hand, I stood up twice in the last 20 minutes to check stacks at the other table.

Hand 1:

Hero has 12k
Villian has more than 20k. Villian is Vegas pro, fairly loose and aggressive.

Hero raises A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] to 2500 two from the button.
Villian calls from button.

Flop A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero?

Hand 2:

Guy in MP (15k) opens for 2500. No real read -- he had taken down a few pots with standard pre-flop raises, but hadn't shown down many (if any) hands during the time I was at table.

Button, young, aggressive, thinking player (Ryan Larson) with about 16k, pauses for a bit, fondles his chips, does some counting and announces that he is all-in. I had played about half the tourney on this guy's left and he was aggressive but hadn't pushed all-in preflop the entire time.

Hero has 18k a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]k [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in small blind. Hero?

Hand 3:

Hero is in cut-off with 17.5k, raises to 2500 with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Button folds, SB (19k) calls. SB was Timothy Ly who had been aggressive and tricky, not afraid to put it in. He had tangled with villian from Hand 1 a few times with varying results.

Flop comes 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villian checks.
Hero bets 4k.
Villian thinks for a beat and announces all-in (for another 9k or so).
Hero? Comments on all streets appreciated.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:55 PM

Default Re: 3 hands from Bellagio 1k

Hand 1 I c/shove.

Hand 2 very easy shove.

Hand 3 fold.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:56 PM

Hand 1: I probably lead and call a push. He'll be pushing a lot of flush draws, the occasional worse ace, worse pairs, maybe air a lot of the time if he realizes you're on the money bubble and might be extra prone to lay down hands.

Hand 2: Pooooooooooooooooosh. Button could easily be pushing for value against MP with a worse ace (AQ, AJ) or something like KQ, or he could be jamming with a pocket pair here. If you're flipping here, you're going to have an overlay from the blinds and the MP raise, and having ~40k in chips will probably allow you to do a bit of bullying yourself.

Hand 3: This seems like a slightly-ahead/way behind situation. Given your tight image and your apparently interest in making the money (getting up and checking the stacks at the other table), I don't know if I can lay this down getting 2.5:1 against someone who could easily be pushing 2 overs, draws, or air. Even against some super-contrived terrible-for-you ranges, you're like a 2:1 dog. Overall, it's kind of a gross spot, but the pot odds are just too damn good.

Actually, I made another contrived range (any pair, any broadway, any 10, any 8) for hand 3 and you're like a 2.67:1 dog. So maybe it is closer to a fold. Meh.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1 I c/shove.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I guess if he's aggro and will interpret your check as being afraid of the ace, this is probably a better line than bet/call. And if he checks behind, it's not like there are a lot of cards we really, really hate. If he checks, plan is to bet turn?
Old 10-31-2006, 03:07 PM

SM, he thinks we're playing very scared and is therefore always betting whatever he has, and we have him committed when he does. If he does check behind, that's okay, lead the turn.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:10 PM

Does anyone check behind on hand 3? Push flop? Open fold? Open push?
Old 10-31-2006, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1 I c/shove.

Hand 2 very easy shove.

Hand 3 fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect ucla. Sometimes i lead hand 1's flop but given stacks i like your checks.

And yes sometimes i will check hand 3's flop. I know hes got the right stack to CR all in and its a board where he may beleieve has fold equity. A check gives us a free card and he might belelive we're inducing him to bet, especially if he watched us check shove that AJ.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:06 PM

Results:

Hand 1:

I checked, he bet 3k, I pushed and he folded.

Hand 2:

I thought long and hard and folded. In hindsight I think this was a very big mistake and probably cost me my best chance to go deep. At the time, I felt like it was a race at best. I know with the overlay I probably should have put it in, but I was slightly confused by villian's push (as I wrote in the OP, villian had not pushed pre-flop the entire time I sat with him) and thought there was a chance AA and KK were in his range. I also thought there was a good chance the initial raiser had an A or K, thus reducing my outs even if villian was on an under pair. Finally, due to my image, I thought I could find an easier spot to double up with a hand facing over-aggression from one of at least 3 people who clearly were dying to push me around post-flop.

Ultimately, however, this fold was due at least in part to the fact that this was my first live tourney. I would make this call 100% of the time online.

Hand 3:

I agonized and called. His range was very wide, but based on his aggression and my prior weakness (including the AK laydown where it was obvious I had a hand), this really felt like a move. I thought he would have re-raised premium hands pre-flop and likely lead the flop on a hand like top pair. I was continuation betting about half of my raised hands. I also felt like his push was not the best way for him to get chips out of me if he had a hand, and he clearly knew this. Finally, folding would have left me with about 9k in chips, enough to make some moves, but certainly not in great shape. Calling and winning would put me at almost 40k and in real position to do some damage (I know this also applies to the AK hand). He flipped over AJ and I lost on the turn.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone check behind on hand 3? Push flop? Open fold? Open push?

[/ QUOTE ]
Open pushing is possible. Checking behind and pushing the flop are also possible. OP's line in pretty standard.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:36 PM

Hand 1. Bet the flop and get the rest in regardless.

Hand 2. Push. Neither player's action indicates a huge hand.

Hand 3. Call. Your pot odds are too good. You are about 10% if behind. It is likely villain puts you on overs with the low flop. I have seen the results, but felt that way before seeing the results.