Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2006, 04:53 PM

Default how israel reacts to attacks

always they return with many times the force that was put upon them.
look at it this way. if someone cuts off your finger and you do the same to him. then a toe and you do the same. soon both of you are lying there with no movement left. so israel cuts off three fingers first. then a hand and foot. then blows off the head.
since anyone attacking them knows that they return aggression like this, the attacker must accept the outcome, or dont attack in the first place.
so basically the groups that attack israel are mearly pawns for larger ggroups like syria and iran which benefit from the violence so they wont have to do it themselves.
to survive in that region israel must make it clear to all countries that if they mess with them it will be full scale distruction until the attacker stops and surrenders.
if the countries around israel want its demise then they have to wait until they are stronger and can win.
i think both sides are clearly wrong on how they treat each other. and unfortunately it looks like the confrontation is coming to a head with the stronger going to displace the weaker.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:57 PM

Default Re: how israel reacts to attacks

Ray, the major issue regarding this attack is a vast sense in Israel that we have lost some of that deterence factor you are talking about.

I am not sure if we succeed in returning that (i.e., don't attack us or suffer the extreme consequences), but that is def. one of the goals, even if not spoken upon officialy.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:25 PM

The real pawns of Syria and Iran are the ordinary and law abiding citizens of both Lebanon and Palestine...
Old 07-17-2006, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The real pawns of Syria and Iran are the ordinary and law abiding citizens of both Lebanon and Palestine...

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it not the case that the dirty little secret in Middle Eastern affairs is that most governments could give a rat's behind about the plight of the Palestinians and they are merely convenient to use to bash the Jews and stroke domestic audiences?
Old 07-17-2006, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it not the case that the dirty little secret in Middle Eastern affairs is that most governments could give a rat's behind about the plight of the Palestinians and they are merely convenient to use to bash the Jews and stroke domestic audiences?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is why most arab countries refused to take in palestinian refugees.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:55 PM

If it had been that simple, Ray, all military bases in Syria would have been bombed by US warplanes and cruiser missiles during this weekend. As they weren't, i.e. US (and most others) sees a point in not reacting disproportionally. There is actually a consensus that the reaction should be proportionate, but since that word has no agreed definition the international discussion centers around what is proportionate.

I think the consensus that it should be proportionate stems from a similar logic that existed through much of the cold war, each side wants to win, but also each side wants to maintain the state of a "limited war" as the consequence of a full war would be too devastating for both sides. If you stop keeping things inside proportion and scale this scenario up to a full war this actually again (as during the cold war) includes Russian nukes fired at New York.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:51 PM

Knowing that every military action has a political cost, Israel's response to any and all attacks should be proportionate. Thus far their response has been appropriate and proportionate and I hope for a swift conclusion, though I don't see that happening. Iran is pulling the strings and they are perfectly content with what is happening now. Lebanon needs to stand up to Hezbollah if they want this to end soon.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:29 PM

Your comments remind me of a passage in Thomas Friedman's book From Beruit to Jerusalem in which he discusses 'Hama Rules'. In discussing the Syrian tragedy at Hama (Wiki is your friend), he tells the fable of the old man and his turkey which helps describe the mentality of some in the middle east. I dont have have time to type of the entire fable but found a nice little summary of it here.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:31 AM

i think all people act like the turkey thing. they wait too long to react to someone stepping on their toes for fear of some confrontation. the confrontation which they are making inevitable to happen just for that reason.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:41 AM

arfin and irv,

the right thing seems to return in proportion. but as the turkey story shows all it does is encourage more attacks. nothing works like a punch in the nose when someone pokes you in the chest. unfortunately in this case it involves the killing of civilians on both sides. the only logical thing is for the people that hate israel to draw back and stop all aggession and let things quiet down. then they can point out if israel attacks first. and get international support. until then if they continue to be the instigators the world knows who is in the right.
in the right i mean israel versus hamas and hisballa. not israel against all those surrounding them. which comprises many ordinary people that just want to live.