Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Prop bet thread

i think there are lot of things where doing 1/10th of what the world record is very difficult. push ups i definitely one such thing in my book. i very firmly believe that 99.5%+ of the population can't do this.

if you look at the population of people willing to take the bet well obviously you have some serious self-weighting problems. i don't think its as big of an issue as other bets because its something that people just naturally grossly overestimate their abilities with.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:05 PM

I'd guess that if you can do 50 consecutive push-ups you can probably do this challenge. And most fit males can either do 50 or get there with a some training/dedication.

Also, the difference between 1000 and 10000 is huge because of how it reduces rest and how fundamental rest (and the handling of waste) is to the challenge.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:05 PM

Danny,

Chipotle is for pussies. I'd be more impressed if you do 3 plates of chicken fried rice at Inoko with 2 white sauces on each plate.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think there are lot of things were doing 1/10th of what the world record is very difficult. push ups i definitely one such thing in my book. i very firmly believe that 99.5%+ of the population can't do this.

if you look at the population of people willing to take the bet well obviously you have some serious self-weighting problems. i don't think its as big of an issue as other bets because its something that people just naturally grossly overestimate their abilities with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no way to prove it, but Id get 100k together and bet you at 2:1 odds that more than .05% of the population of the US can do this. Anyone who plays pro sports, most people in the military, Id bet most HS athletes, all college athletes. Its not something Im grossly overestimating, its not that tough. Subfallen did it fairly easily from what I read in teh health and fitness forum. If you can do 50 to 100 in a row, you can probably do 1000 in a day. but Im not positive about that in any regard, its what my gut tells me though
Old 07-26-2007, 09:52 PM

-guids

i *might* have exaggerated a bit. but its close. virtually no females could do it, and 1/3 of US population is obese. virtually nobody over 50, probably very very few over 40. similarly no really young people. a fit, athletic 19 year old kid is not all that common :-/. finally most people who tried would almost certainly make horrible strategic decisions so although they might be able to do it eventually, if their first attempt was during the bet they would be SOL.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:03 PM

Definitely a problem with women-- but virtually none is wrong. Also, virtually no one over 50 is absurd.

Max points on the army fitness test is 50 push-ups both for 62 years and older males and for 27-31 year old females. These are not set as to be attainable only by the genetically gifted few, but rather for the many who can be highly motivated and have an amenable body type.

Strategy and training are concerns, but I think the potential is there...
Old 07-26-2007, 10:14 PM

round up some 50 year olds and women who don't look like fitness models and i bet you have a lot better chance of getting serious action on them than any of these other fitness props.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:20 PM

So I come back to you with a 50 year old male tomorrow willing to take this on are you going to bet enough to make it worth while?

I think if I went to the soccer fields in the suburbs I'd find several good candidates under the age of 15, boys and girls, that could get there with a couple months of training.

I don't have any grand claims about % of the population, but underestimate us geezers at your peril.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:38 PM

private joker, I want to put some money on Vick not starting the season at QB. I'll lay 1k, pm for details please.

Golf bet you should definitely take if you live somewhere where the heat is a factor. Pick a hot day and a really tough course to walk. By really tough, I mean one that is a complete bitch to walk 18 of and do it on a hot day beginning at like 11 (long distances between holes are key, I know several courses that have walks of over 500-600 yards in several places and finishing holes or first tees not so near the cloubhouse, hills are a bonus). Take your 3 iron, 7 iron, and whatever wedge you're most comfortable with.

I have two golf prop bets with a friend that should go down in the next few weeks if we aggre to how much money and when to play them. First is he plays left-handed at a par 3 course from the ladies tees (gets 1 month of practice time, already started) and I play left-handed (I'm a lefty) from the back tees. Stroke play. I'm laying 5 to 1 (or whatever my $5 to his $1 is). The other is we play from the tips of a pretty tough 7000 yard course and play match play where I get 1/2 a stroke on all the par 4s (except the shortest one, which is like 350 yards) and get 1/2 a stroke on the longest par 3. Par 5s are unreachable for both of us. He hits it like 25 yards longer off the tee and 1-2 clubs in the fairway. I am now shooting around 90 and he's up to about 80 although we were both far better a few years ago (I played 4 years of varsity golf and he played in HS and played 1 year of DIII golf, but quit the team last year).
Old 07-26-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
in another forum, 2+2er Apathy had a prop bet with Usher and Durr that he could do 1000 pushups in one 24-hour period. He made it to about 630 and quit.

Irieguy has now booked the same bet....I have action against him...

personally, I think it's close to impossible for 99% of the population...

[/ QUOTE ]

I could do this fairly easily, Im pretty sure most guys who workout pretty hard could too. The world record is like 10k pushups in a day. Thats 40 pushups per hour, if you think that 99% of people cant do this, you should def take tex's proposed bet of 500 body weight bench presses in a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe you're right and it's easier than I think...the people doing it are degenerate gamblers who don't take care of their bodies very well, so it's VERY hard for them. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

10,000 in one day? really??

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, I looked it up 10,400 or something like that. And yes, I agree 99.99% of degenerate gamblers could not do this, you have to be in reasonable shape to get through 1000. I think it would be trivial if you did 500 at 11pm, went to bed at 1am, after eating a carb heavy meal, and then woke up and did the rest after 10 hours of sleep.

[/ QUOTE ]

propbet that this isnt right?

10.5k is nonstop, 46k in 24 hours, 3.8k 1 hour, etc.

http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/pushups.html