Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 11:43 AM

Default Baited and switched during interview: WTF?

Recruiter set me up for an interview for a Director level position. I've been in middle management for several years and this job looked like an interesting step up. I have a grad degree and 12 years in this line of work, the last 5 in middle management. The technology was a slam dunk fit - i've worked with these products before and know the engineering and theory behind them. So I was pumped.

Until I arrived on site and saw the printed schedule for my interview cycle in the HR woman's office. I mentioned, "I was under the impression that I was interviewing for a Director's position." She says, "Well, after reviewing your qualifications we thought you'd be a better fit for a manager's role."

I asked why they didn't consult me about this BEFORE I took the day off for this interview. I told her that I'm not interested in a lateral move, and that I was clear with the recruiter about this. I know the recruiter well (she placed me in my current job) and I'm sure she wasn't aware of this bait& switch.

I walked out. Didn't even thank them for their time. They didn't show me professional courtesy, so why should I waste my time with them?

Good play or not?
Old 10-08-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Baited and switched during interview: WTF?

Definitely. Not a company you ever want to do business with again, unless its THEM that comes crawling.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:51 AM

This is a lame move but it is also super standard. It happened to me countless times. Not something I would burn bridges over, be professional, say you're not interested and then leave.

Also, I wouldn't give the recruiter so much credit. I have yet to meet one that isn't scum who just wants their commission as fast as possible.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:55 AM

Yeah as far as recruiters go, if you were in their position who would you have more loyalty to

Employee- Hunting around for a job, might only need your services once no matter how good you are, at most will use you every few years.

Employer- Might be hiring for dozens of positions in that time and the more quality people you get them, by whatever tactics, the happier they will be to listen to your input and meet your people in the future.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah as far as recruiters go, if you were in their position who would you have more loyalty to

Employee- Hunting around for a job, might only need your services once no matter how good you are, at most will use you every few years.

Employer- Might be hiring for dozens of positions in that time and the more quality people you get them, by whatever tactics, the happier they will be to listen to your input and meet your people in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've only dealt with recruiters for legal positions before, but I just met a recruiter for technical positions the other day. He said that one big problem he runs into is that the candidates he is handling think that he (the recruiter) is working for the candidate. The recruiter made it clear to me that he works for the employer and only has loyalty to the employer.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The recruiter made it clear to me that he works for the employer and only has loyalty to the employer.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a stupid mentality to have. You're working for both parties to determine whether or not it's a good fit for everyone. It's true that only one of the parties pays you, but both are equally important in the process and should be treated as such.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I wouldn't give the recruiter so much credit. I have yet to meet one that isn't scum who just wants their commission as fast as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh god, here comes tuq.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh god, here comes tuq.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, Tuq's a breath of fresh air relative to cbloom.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh god, here comes tuq.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lucky guess.

"Talent" is my collateral. The network of talent that I have worked with for nine years is gold. I nurture that network gently, and generally referrals are easy to come by as a result. In my best year I made 50 placements (high-end, not receptionists, so it was an achievement). I charted it out and 37 of the 50 were referrals at some point in the past.

Sure I could go out to Monster.com, but job boards are like nightclubs - there are a lot of available candidates, but most of them suck and are looking for a reason (to be fair there's some good ones too, but there's tons of chaff with that wheat). Plus that's a rookie move, anyone with a login and the ability to form sentences can go out there.

Recruiters are the best "in" to any company with which they're working. Applying directly is not, unless you value the opinion of Susie in HR, who is scanning resumes with one hand, jelly donut in the other, counting the minutes to 5PM and rejecting resumes as fast as she can so she doesn't have to work late.

OP, sorry to hear about your story but if you had a previously positive experience with the recruiter then she may be as baffled and frustrated as you are.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:16 PM

Just to clarify, I excused myself from the interview before I met with the first functional rep. I told the HR twit that I wasn't interested in a lateral move at this time, and that the message the company was giving me was different from what the recruiter had told me. I said I would contact the recruiter to clarify things. I then left, called the recruiter, and headed home.

So I didn't walk out in a huff, didn't burn any bridges (HR types have little influence in my field), but neither did I waste my time schmoozing with them.

I'm fortunate that my field has far more open jobs than qualified candidates. I'm also fortunate that my area boasts the largest concentration of firms in my field in the US. I've gotten to know lots of colleagues over the years and I like to think I have a solid network.

I didn't realize this practice was so common. That doesn't mean I couldn't smell a rat at this place, though.