Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Are there any laws against online gambling in Canada?

I've been cashout out regularly from Party to my TD VISA US currency card since Jan. I did it about 4 times for at 5K each and each time the 5 K would show up as a positive balance when I check with online banking. Once it shows up, I would call VISA and request a cheque or a transfer to my main bank acct. 2 weeks ago , I made another cash out for a little over 5K and the money showed up again as a positive balance so I call VISA and request a transfer. A week or so later, it still doesn't show up in my bank acct so I call them and they tell me to wait 2 business days. Then a couple of hours after getting off the phone, I get a call from VISA saying that the money will not be transfered because it was obtained from online gambling. She says I can make purchases on the card or go to my bank and ask for cash advance but she won't make the transfer. So this morning I go to TD and ask for cash advance, bank teller didn't know what to do so she calls VISA and then after 15 min she comes back and asks me where the money was from. I tell her from online gambling and she gets back on the phone and then after another few minutes, she tells me to call VISA in aweek because they are looking into things because the money is from online gambling. AFAIK, there is no law against financial institutions completing transactions with online gambling sites. Am I wrong? I mean, I'm pretty sure that I could still make a deposit using the credit card if I wanted to and if so, how can they accept the deposit but refuse giving me my money?
Old 06-27-2007, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Are there any laws against online gambling in Canada?

AFAIK gaming in Canada is regulated provincially. Again AFAIK as of yet no province has shown any interest in addressing online gaming.

Likely it's either incompetence or that the banks are getting pressure from the DOJ. TD and the other banks all have extensive businesses in the US and hence could be subject to a little extortion on the DOJ's part.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:18 PM

DOJ?
Old 06-27-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DOJ?

[/ QUOTE ]

United States Department of Justice
Old 06-27-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DOJ?

[/ QUOTE ]

United States Department of Justice

[/ QUOTE ]

if your speculation is correct Canucks should start panicking a bit.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:29 PM

Visa's 'looking into things' eh? Lovely.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:32 PM

I'm thinking (hoping) that Visa just realised there was a pattern of positive balances with only one debt and thought it was suspicious and don't like being used as a bank acct.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:34 PM

No need to panic yet, we are talking about the banks, incompetence is the far more likely answer.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:32 PM

slim,

My speculation would be that since the Visa is in US$, they are trying to voluntarily take precautions against online gaming transactions (in line with the online gaming bill)

Obviously in my view, this is bs. So, here is how I would handle it:

1) Let your bank know you like to file a complaint. According to the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC): "All banks, retail associations and federal trust, loan and insurance companies must, by law, have a complaint-handling process in place for consumers." See: http://www.fcac-acfc.gc.ca/eng/consu...ts/default.asp

2) If that doesn't work, tell your bank you intend to file a complaint with the FCAC. That should get their attention REAL quick and process your transaction immediately.

I'm not advocating being a dick. But frequently ppl are not quick to tell you the obligations an institution have to you and also your rights afforded by our government.... much similar to the good old "sorry we don't offer refunds" .. where upon closer inspection of our laws, the sales of goods act affords us the condition of "merchantibility" (subject to a bunch of stuff) that merchants can not excempt themselves from (i.e. saying no refunds is pointless).

Hope this helps,

Roadstar