Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 11-21-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Re: cbloom\'s log - Rippetoe & Frozen Shoulder

[ QUOTE ]
Well last few days have been really good doing low weight stuff.

Swimming a few times
Lots of lunges and squats with no weight
OHS with broomstick
Regular squat with just a bar
Pullups and pushups
Hypers & reverse hypers
Turkish getups with 25 lbs
+1 hour a day of stretching & shoulder rehab exercises [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

All felt really good. Started doing this new ab thing too - I can't find a name for it, but you do a lying down straight leg lift with a medicine ball between your feet, at the top you pass the ball to your hands and lower your legs and arms to lieing down, then do another leg lift and grab the ball with your feet. Pretty fun.

I wanted to do some kind of hard work today before I gorge tomorrow so I did

Pullups + 15 lbs, 8,7,5
Dumbell military press 30 lbs 8,7,7 (going light for reps)
Deadlift 135x5,160x5,185x5

DL felt really draining but good. It blows I'm not making any progress increasing weights, but I am feeling a lot healthier.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've been itching to get a high rep week or two in, just to give myself a break from heavy [censored], and to also be able to practice movements more. I feel like since I'm so injury prone it would be a good chance to let my connective tissue catch up to my muscles.

Also, how's your shoulder? What's still wrong with it? If you're able to do OHS and military presses, it would seem like it's pretty healthy.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I've been itching to get a high rep week or two in, just to give myself a break from heavy [censored], and to also be able to practice movements more. I feel like since I'm so injury prone it would be a good chance to let my connective tissue catch up to my muscles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it felt really good. Obviously high reps is not the way to go for hypertrophy, but it feels like it's making the joints more used to the motion and flushing blood through the muscles and just making the body more able to do the moves. I think it's worthwhile to take a break and do that once in a while.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, how's your shoulder? What's still wrong with it? If you're able to do OHS and military presses, it would seem like it's pretty healthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the OHS is a new thing and it's a very exciting milestone for me. I'm only doing dumbbell military presses, which is easier on the shoulder than barbell. I still have scar tissue around the scapula and the glenohumeral joint, as well as atrophy of stabilizer and scapular muscles.

It's easy to detect because there are still just weird little moves that are so so hard for me. One move is rotating my arms up from my sides to overhead - on my left it's a piece of cake, but on my right it's still so so hard, like 5 reps and I'm exhausted.

For a while there I was worried it was never going to get back to 100% function at all, but now I feel like with a few more months of hard work it will be as good as ever, so that's really positive.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:03 PM

So I made some video formchecks :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDuYw...06&index=1

(there are 4 videos, if you just watch one look at the deadlift 165 for me)

It was pretty cool making the videos, I already spotted a lot of things I wasn't really aware of.

BTW this is the first weighted regular squat I've done in over a year, very happy with that.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:28 PM

Hi friend,

You're letting the bar down too slowly on the deadlift.

Also, for the squats, your arm placement is way off. Your hands should be placed just outside the shoulders so you can create a strong "ledge" for the bar by bunching up your trap muscles. Other than that, it seems fine.

On an unrelated note, please change your socks. Those mid length crew socks = very nerdy
Old 11-25-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, for the squats, your arm placement is way off. Your hands should be placed just outside the shoulders so you can create a strong "ledge" for the bar by bunching up your trap muscles. Other than that, it seems fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks; yeah, I definitely can't do that right now. Maybe I'll just hold off on the squats a bit longer until my shoulder's better. I got excited that I could even vaguely get in position and want to get on the wagon.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks; yeah, I definitely can't do that right now. Maybe I'll just hold off on the squats a bit longer until my shoulder's better. I got excited that I could even vaguely get in position and want to get on the wagon.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's ok as long as the bar isn't hurting your neck/back, or the arm position is hurting your shoulder. If it all feels good, I would do squats, although nothing too heavy. Whadya think?
Old 11-29-2007, 05:15 PM

Squat : 125 3x5
feel like I could easily go a lot heavier but I'm taking it slow

Incline dumbbell bench : 65 3x5
felt really hard to get in & out of position safely
might have to stop doing this unless I can get a spot

Deadlift : 185 1x5 , 205 1x3
probably could've finished the 1x5 at 205 but I wussed out and bailed

That all felt pretty good, but WTF I just looked at the clock and I was at the gym almost 2 hours. I think I warmed up for too long and then I must've got low blood sugar and just totally spaced out there for a long time.

Shoulder feels really awkward in the squat position.

I tried going down faster in the DL and dropping it from higher up. Everyone in the gym was looking at me. I really wish I had proper rubber floors and bumper plates.

Starting Strength is so f**king hard.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:07 PM

Squat : 135 3x5
Pullups + 20 lbs : 7,6,4
Militaries : 45 lbs 1x4 (fail), 40 lbs 3x5

Weighed myself - 188 lbs ! (up from 180 a month ago). Definitely a bit of fat but weight gain is good.

Did some dumb [censored] at the end of the workout cuz I felt strong and had lots of energy; punched the bag barehanded and did some plyo jumps and a lot of hard abs. Dumb, don't do that.

Squat felt strong, but I did something bad on the second set. I think I had the bar too high up and it was kind of on my neck or something. Anyway, I did the set and it felt fine, then as soon as I racked the bar I got a huge splitting headache. I just rested a minute and it went away fortunately. Gotta be careful.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Militaries : 45 lbs 1x4 (fail), 40 lbs 3x5

[/ QUOTE ] Are those dumbbells on each side?

Also you could try using a stopwatch (wristwatch/cellphone) to keep your rest periods strict if the clocks in the gym aren't very good.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:16 PM

Yeah that's dumbbell.