Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Atlanta: Your favorite things to do or places to go

[ QUOTE ]
A,

Where did you come from? 2.5 years and 190 posts? Read the last 50 or so posts in this thread and come hang out: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post6047489

As for top restaurants in US being in Atlanta, the #3 taco joint is here: Taqueria Del Sol. There are 3 spread out across the city, but when you go make sure to get the Shrimp Corn Chowder. I promise you it's one of the best things you'll ever taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was a lurker for a long time. Nearly all of my posts are in the last 2-3 months.

Shrimp Corn Chowder? I am stunned by the realization that I have been ignorant of this for so long. I will check that out.

I just PM'ed FFK for the addy. See you there.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:29 PM

Eddie's Attic in Decatur. Definitely check out Bobby Yang when he plays there - usually plays it several times a year. A great place to listen to live music.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:46 PM

Oh man let's not even get started on Decatur. I had Taqueria Del Sol yesterday...fish tacos FTW. The Brickstore is an awesome place to try 100's of different beers and their food is pretty good. Jake's ice cream is literally the best I've ever had.

Are any of you guys going to the Decatur beerfest on the 20th? I am for sure, $30 all you can drink for 5 hours and a lot of great beers (not generic Bud Light crap.)
Old 10-04-2007, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh man let's get started on Decatur.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good idea!

I second Eddie's Attic. They have an "open mic night", that's about the least open I've ever seen. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] There's a sign-up sheet months ahead, and everybody who gets on is really good. It's the normal folky, singer-songwriterish open mic stuff, but without all the usual sloppy tuning and forgotten lyrics. I think 'Open' Mic Night is on Mondays.

This isn't really a "restaurant" per se, but Sawicki's on Ponce is an awesome butcher/fishmonger/etc. with tons of great variety. Lynne will order anything you want, and is a blast to talk to about food.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:33 AM

The Glory of all Glory in Atlanta is at the Northside Tavern. Live Blues every night featuring my hero on Sundays and Tuesdays. If you know what's hot you'll use the web to find out how to get there.

-Bill
Old 10-04-2007, 12:38 AM

God damn, I ain't been nowhere.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:40 AM

For what it's worth, when I have friends in town I take them on the TRIPLE CROWN OF ATLANTA that consists of first, Nothside Tavern, second, the Clermont Lounge, and third MJQ. All three places are top notch but a little divey...meaning no pretensiousness at all.

Of course there are all sorts of treasures in Little Five Points. I love The Vortex! Best burgers ever and you can get tater tots too.

The best place for authentic Italian pasta dishes in town is Pasa Figo. My Italian friends won't eat pasta anywhere else.

More to come as I think of them.

-Bill
Old 10-04-2007, 01:38 AM

It's amazing how much fun stuff there is to do in Decatur now, and 10 years ago it got mentioned with College Park and East Point.

Willy,

I drove past Northside Tavern a lot when I lived off Defoor, but I never went in. Obviously I will have to change that.

Also, your "TRIPLE CROWN OF ATLANTA" is kinda similar but not really to an event a group I used to do with a group of friends of mine about 6 times a year. Every now and then the stars aligned and you could hit 3 fun/cheap drinking opportunities in 8 hours.

The Triumvirate

1) Sweetwater Brewery Tour - This used to start at 4:20 on Mondays and Thursdays but has since moved to an impossibly late 5:30 start. It cost $6 to get a 16oz glass and 3 tickets for any beer you wanted. Then the fourth beer cost you a $1 tip to the nicest beer girl.

2) Braves Game - Only 7 o'clock or later home games need apply here. $5 walk up tickets and $2/person parking. Not a bad deal, which is important when you're paying $8 a pop for the beers in the stadium.

3) Peachtree Tavern - Bonus points for a Monday because you could then do karaoke, which is a blast here. The requirement here is house shots, which will vary from $2 to $5 a pop depending on the day, bartender, and how much you complain about the ridiculousness of $5 house shots.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:53 AM

When I went to Atlanta I ate at Fat Matt's Rib Shack. I highly recommend it.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Peachtree Tavern[/url] - Bonus points for a Monday because you could then do karaoke, which is a blast here. The requirement here is house shots, which will vary from $2 to $5 a pop depending on the day, bartender, and how much you complain about the ridiculousness of $5 house shots.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been wondering where the good karaoke places are. Last time I went was to the Crazy Horse in Cabbagetown (which is no longer around).

I also have never been to Northside Tavern.

This thread delivers.