Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Atlanta: Your favorite things to do or places to go

Yeah, the Dekalb Farmers Market is amazing. I love going there to get food. Also, they have a little cafe in there where they charge by the pound and it's all the fresh food from the market. Great place to eat cheap.

PZ,

If you like running at Piedmont, you should go up to Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park one day. Now, I think there are a few entrances and I'm not entirely sure how to get there anymore. My gf always used to drive. All I remember is that I started my runs on the south side of the park. There are a bunch of trails weaving through the woods and it's a beautiful run. Unfortunately it is pretty confusing if you've never done it before, but I have a 5-mi and a 7-mi loop that I have done there before.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:38 AM

El Bar and MJQ can both be fun under the right circumstances. I usually hang out at the Local, which is literally next door to MJQ. 97 Estoria in Cabbagetown is a great place, although the hipster vibe can be a little overwhelming at times. N 82, good call on the Mellow Mushroom. I go to the Decatur one for trivia. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My vote for best brunch is Ria's on Memorial right next to the cemetery. Also Six Feet Under is a great seafood restaurant next to Ria's.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:35 PM

Yeah, there are a ton of trivia restaurants around the city. Thursday nights at 10pm Crown & Anchor Pub does a Sex, Drugs and Rock n Roll trivia that's pretty fun. Also, there are a couple trivia leagues where the top 150 teams go to a big tournament every 3 months or so at Midieval Times where first place gets $5000.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:18 PM

Part of me died when they closed the Mellow Mushroom in Roswell. I used to go there every Sunday with lifelong friends for pizza and beer, what a shame, I loved that place.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
clairmont lounge baby

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.

When I moved to Atlanta, I started dating a girl. On our *first date* she took me to the Clairmont.

The Clairmont Lounge is famous for being a free strip club. The girls are nassssty but they are hilarious, too. There was/is a mother/daughter combo, and a girl who is locally famous for crushing beer cans with her boobages.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you like to eat, you can get great, cheap Korean, Chinese, Mexican, whatever, food on Buford Highway. I also highly recommend the Buford Highway Farmers Market and the Dekalb Farmers Market for food shopping.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some friends and I did a Buford Highway Crawl. Each week we would go to a restaurant on BH, starting with the first (after corporate blvd), then continuing to the next restaurant down the following week. It was a blast and I learned about some great restaurants. Some in particular are Abbay (Ethiopian), Panahar (Malaysian) and Bien Thuy (vietnamese, and apparently a mafia joint now). There are several others but the names escape me.

DeKalb Farmer's market is the bomb.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
El Bar and MJQ can both be fun under the right circumstances. I usually hang out at the Local, which is literally next door to MJQ. 97 Estoria in Cabbagetown is a great place, although the hipster vibe can be a little overwhelming at times. N 82, good call on the Mellow Mushroom. I go to the Decatur one for trivia. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My vote for best brunch is Ria's on Memorial right next to the cemetery. Also Six Feet Under is a great seafood restaurant next to Ria's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto Six Feet Under.. Fish Tacos!

I used to hang out at 97 Estoria quite a bit. Back when it had a different name which I forget. The hipster vibe was more in control back then I think.

I also declare ditto on MJQ and The Local. The Local is very chill and simple. MJQ is fun but very dirty. I'm 31 and am unlikely to go back there anytime soon, but it was the [censored] when I was 25ish.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Part of me died when they closed the Mellow Mushroom in Roswell. I used to go there every Sunday with lifelong friends for pizza and beer, what a shame, I loved that place.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's another one on Crossville Road. Probably not as good as the old one, but still f'ing great pizza either way.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:57 PM

[quote}
To start, I'll talk about Whole World Improv Theatre. They do two shows Friday and Saturday (and have an apprentice show sometime during the week) that costs $21-$24 depending on when you buy. A group of friends and I went a little while ago when someone's boss got them free tickets and it was a lot of fun. Small venue on Spring St. between 16th and 14th with plenty of parking for like $2 by the Shell station.

There's a small bar inside (well, beer and wine) and you're free to drink in the theatre. And actually, it's not really a theater, just some stadium seating with couches so you might end up sharing a couch with somebody you've never met before. Pretty cool vibe overall.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like WWT, but I prefer Dad's Garage. I like the atmosphere better there, it's more shabby (yes, that's a good thing in this case) and I find their structure and actors to be better (IOW: funnier).

I was sad when the Echo Lounge closed. But East Atlanta is still a great area to go out drinking. The East Side Lounge is OK, though it's probably a lot different. I used to go often when it was the Fountainhead. I really miss the Heaping Bowl, too. The Earl has one of the best hamburgers on the planet (according to WSJ, the top three burgers in the US are all in Atlanta. The other two are Ann's Snack Bar and the Vortex).

Speaking of the Vortex, that's another fun place. It feels like a dive bar decorated by a motorcycle gang. Cheap drinks and the burgers are insane. They have a huge selection, including the coronary bypass burger and a wicked good black bean burger.

The Star Bar is good times. It's another dive bar type club that has great local/indie rock.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Martini's at IMAX is fun (Fernbank Museum). It's upscale and expensive, but qualilty. The drinks are solid and it's fun to drink in an ancient history museum. On other days it's decent museum, but not very large.

I will refrain from mentioning more restaurants. There are so many, but as mmbtone said, it will probably derail the thread to do so!
Old 10-03-2007, 09:23 PM

A,

Where did you come from? 2.5 years and 190 posts? Read the last 50 or so posts in this thread and come hang out: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post6047489

As for top restaurants in US being in Atlanta, the #3 taco joint is here: Taqueria Del Sol. There are 3 spread out across the city, but when you go make sure to get the Shrimp Corn Chowder. I promise you it's one of the best things you'll ever taste.