Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 05:54 PM

Default Re: ESPN says Mets announcers are the best

[ QUOTE ]
Don't tell Euro...

[/ QUOTE ]

lol it's like this thread was made with me in mind.

LOL GARY, SHEA STADIUM IS SO BIG!! "BIG SHEA!" PITCHER'S PARK! HILARIOUS! CITIZEN'S BANK PARK IS SUCH A BANDBOX. LOL EQUALLY HILARIOUS.

Larry Anderson and Scott Fransky on the radio. Harry Kalas, Wheels and Sarge on the television broadcast. for the win.

but I'm biased.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:24 PM

As a Mets' fan in LA, my main baseball outlet is MLB.tv. That means I get a lot of the SNY crew, but also a wide sampling of the rest of the local crews around the league.

The SNY crew is the best. Relative to the average crew, they are extraordinarily unbiased and non-homerish. Yes, they might sound a little more excited if the Mets make a big play or something, but they're always very fair when it comes to umpiring judgements or player performance stuff.

Gary is just an ok PBP guy, but that's fine, because he mostly just stays out of the way of Ron and Keith, who are both fantastic. They are not anything like the standard ex-player announcers.

Euro's bandbox riff is stupid. Every announce team across the country refers to CBP that way. They're not trying to rewrite comedy recordbooks; it's just an easy way to remind and/or inform people that some stats and analysis requires park context. Something like 20% of HRs at CBP would be flyouts at the average park (more like 35% at Shea). That is huge, and it would be irresponsible to NOT account for it in the commentary.

Over the course of the season, I've mostly forgotten the average crap that passes for the majority of local announce teams, but a few that have stuck out:

- Cincy's seemed pretty good, IIRC. For a team with no shot at anything and a lot of team-direction decisions to be made in the offseason, they put together a good, informative broadcast.

- Washington's are ok. I think I liked them better earlier in the year, before they said some standard stupid stuff, but for the most part, I think they're fine to listen to.

- San Diego has the absolute worst crew. These guys are just [censored] idiots. It was torture listening to the inanity that passed for analysis with these guys (ie: a 5 minute argument about which celebrity does some bench player kinda look like if you squint a little bit?)

- TBS. The local FSN Braves guys don't seem that bad, but the TBS crew is plain terrible.

- YES. This is obvious.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:34 PM

Cleveland is the best imo.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

- San Diego has the absolute worst crew. These guys are just [censored] idiots. It was torture listening to the inanity that passed for analysis with these guys (ie: a 5 minute argument about which celebrity does some bench player kinda look like if you squint a little bit?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha ... I was waiting for a Matt and Mud bashing. I love our guys, they grow on you. Part of their attractiveness is that Mud is just constantly silly. Someone watching them for the first time will question whether they are watching baseball or the worst comedy act of all time.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This may be the BOS homer in me, but aren't Remy and Orsillo the best announcing team? It is pretty rare for me to laugh at anything announcers say, but these guys aren't annoying and they are very funny.

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

i laughed at this post fwiw

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, you are stupid at like everything.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha ... I was waiting for a Matt and Mud bashing. I love our guys, they grow on you. Part of their attractiveness is that Mud is just constantly silly. Someone watching them for the first time will question whether they are watching baseball or the worst comedy act of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

San Diego is bad, but not the worst. Hawk is real bad and LAA announcers are not far behind.

craig
Old 09-26-2007, 06:58 PM

joe morgan amirite????
Old 09-26-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
joe morgan amirite????

[/ QUOTE ]

I would rather hear 10 of him than one Hawk or 6 of Rex and the other LAA announcer.

craig
Old 09-26-2007, 07:08 PM

On the other end of the spectrum, I am still waiting patiently for Milo Hamilton to have a stroke.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
San Diego is bad, but not the worst. Hawk is real bad and LAA announcers are not far behind.

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't watch a lot of AL, so I can't comment on Kyleb's Cleveland pick. You're right about these 2, though. I have a friend who's a CWS fan, and I get all the local Angels games, and they're unlistenable.