Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2007, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Congress requests WWE\'s steroid-tests documents. Not their place?

sport /spɔrt, spoʊrt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[spawrt, spohrt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

BLARG,

srsly, read this definition of sport. Often is teh key word. I will repeat myself all day long until you learn to read.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:06 PM

Pro Wrestling is almost like a combination between synchronised diving and a floor gymnastic routine. You could have judges in place to score the quality of a match based on technical prowess and the general story being told from start to finish in the match. Then it would be a sport. As it is, it's borderline.

With the strong entertainment aspect of WWE, sports-entertainment pretty accurately describes what they're showing.

Puroresu is pretty close to a sport though.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:30 PM

Wow, this stupid argument is still going on?
Old 07-28-2007, 08:30 PM

I don't think you can call legitimately call it a sport. Without a doubt the participants are athletes, but in my mind that alone does not make a sport.

Take Cirque de Soleil for example, all of it's participants are athletes, many ex-Olympians, but what they do is a show not a sport.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, this stupid argument is still going on?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate when blarg gets stubborn when he is wrong, he is almost worse than me.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:43 PM

I don't think a bad definition makes you right, and I think you have a really bad argument here. No hard feelings.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think a bad definition makes you right, and I think you have a really bad argument here. No hard feelings.

[/ QUOTE ]

no big deal, its really immaterial to anything presented in to OP, but fwiw, miriam-webster, dictionary.com, and pretty much all the other definitions of sport pretty much all would have ballet/WWE logically falling underneath the heading.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:54 PM

The argument of whether pro wrestling is a sport is completely irrelevant to the rest of the thread.

Congress is looking at the policies of a company with millions of fans, and huge revenues, where performers are rewarded for being big and strong, and where steroid use may be a large part of the culture.

Illegal steroid use is a health issue, for the performers, and for those who would emulate them, especially small children. The US government certainly has the right to investigate wrestling for the same reasons they investigate baseball, even if one is a sport and the other isn't.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:03 PM

That's not how it's treated in school or in the culture at large. Dance is classified as an art, not a sport. That there are no rankings, prizes, nor competitors nor competitions firms that up too. I'd go so far as to say that, as ballet is a performance art, if there were competition involved, it would be with other art forms or events that might be seen or participated in instead, like a movie, a broadway show, a gallery exhibit, or an opera.

Tellingly, dictionary definitions for ballet describe it as a type of dance or dance performance, and dance itself is classified as an art form, not a sport.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's not how it's treated in school or in the culture at large. Dance is classified as an art, not a sport. That there are no rankings, prizes, nor competitors nor competitions firms that up too. I'd go so far as to say that, as ballet is a performance art, if there were competition involved, it would be with other art forms or events that might be seen or participated in instead, like a movie, a broadway show, a gallery exhibit, or an opera.

Tellingly, dictionary definitions for ballet describe it as a type of dance or dance performance, and dance itself is classified as an art form, not a sport.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh whatever, Im just going to have to agree to disagree and for the sake of the rest of these guys lets just drop it.

unless you want to settle this.

with a dance off.