Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 10:53 AM

Default Re: ******** November Omaha Low Content Thread ********

[ QUOTE ]
I feel really bad about it to because Roundtower staked me for 1/2 of my buy in to the PLO FTOPS.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't feel bad for RoundTower. Of course no one knows your real ROI for sure, but it was surely positive so it was a good investment on his part.

Also, he lost 100% of his own buyin and I'm sure he isn't losing any sleep over that.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:02 AM

Giving you a roof, feeding you etc, is surely an act of generosity and kindness, rather than buying himself certain rights as to telling you how to live your life. He certainly doesn't have the right to impugn his religious beliefs onto you.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:06 AM

At least that's how I see it, I never let my parents dictate how I lived my life, but I left home at 18 and haven't taken any money off them since then, so maybe I've just been lucky.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I feel really bad about it to because Roundtower staked me for 1/2 of my buy in to the PLO FTOPS.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't feel bad for RoundTower. Of course no one knows your real ROI for sure, but it was surely positive so it was a good investment on his part.

Also, he lost 100% of his own buyin and I'm sure he isn't losing any sleep over that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't played many tournies so my rate of return must be really high, but when I look in PT it doesn't show my $$$s won. I must not have the settings right. I am not sure how to get this to work in PT. I only just started tournies and so I never used this part of PT. Help anyone?

Edit: It is weird I can see what I have spent on tournies is $102.30 on 10 tournies according to PT but it doesn't cover tournies over $50 so this is not counting FTOPS. I won $299, 279, 384, and some other small amounts which I didn't keep track of because they were just nominal. This would be + 859 less the -535 of FTOPS = +324.7 in 11 PLO tournies.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:08 PM

i would be careful with poker tracker and using it in tournaments for reads - its ok while everyone is playing deep but once you get to the point where the average M is less that 20 then the whole dynamic changes

as far as ROI goes i used to make around 5:1 when i played alot of tourneys, which i think is about par
Old 11-11-2007, 12:41 PM

God some players are cretins
Playing the 10R on Stars, guy takes a flyer 3-way with TT86ds 3-way AI and hits vs AAQQ so the 'injured party' starts berating him for being down $4k lifetime on Sharkscope [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
2+2er as well but joined recently. Still sucks though [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2007, 01:16 PM

I don't know anything about you, Janelle, but I would like to seriously caution you from thinking about moving out based on a good tournament run. It feels good, but you cannot start expecting to win every tournament you play, and the fact that you're really upset about having not cashed in the tournament yesterday suggests a limited understanding of your actual expectation.

Playing $5 tournaments with 100 player fields, your expectation can't be more then $50 a shot, and that is /insanely/ optimistic. That you've gotten a clump of good results does not in any way indicate that you should expect to consistently be winning such events.

I'm not sure about your history, but unless you've been studying omaha aggressively over a few hundred thousand hands, it seems unrealistic that you would have the sort of advantage over the average player that you may at this point believe you have.

I think before you start considering supporting yourself playing poker you play recreationally for another year, and stick with school. You don't have any obligation to share your hobbies with your Father, but I would suggest keeping them hobbies; build yourself a little bankroll, take care not to overextend it, and keep learning the game, but remember that poker is something you do for fun, not for food. With luck you may be able to get yourself into the enviable position where you have a well balanced life that happens to include a few thousand dollars a year in you make on the side doing something you enjoy.

Do not, do not, do not let your short-term results go to your head. That said, best of luck, and I hope you keep your run going.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:22 PM

Agreed.

Also, PLO MTTs are no way to grind out a steady living.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:37 PM

TY Cmyr. OH NO, I certainly am in NO WAY thinking I am able to support myself on poker at this time.

LOL I was only making the comment of moving out if I were to win 10K or so, and it was with in mind of also having a REAL job.

I do , as you put it, have extremely limited experience. I have completely unreasonable expectations of myself as well. I go in everytime expecting to win which is both good and bad.

I am actually starting a job next week and so I will be earning money outside of just poker. I don't really think I will be able to rely on a poker income any time in the near future. My best shot at something like that is to win a large tournament and have a significant bankroll.

I certainly do believe I need at least a year (like you said) to actually be a "good" player. Also I haven't done nearly enough study or played nearly enough hands to be considered a real poker player yet. I only have about 29K hands played of cash PLO which I know some serious players have done in a single month.

I agree it is not a good idea to tell my Dad about my poker hobby at this time. Even if I win a great deal of money this will not soften the blow [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]. He won't really approve of it regardless of the amount of money I win, but I figured that if I have a large bankroll and am able to support myself with it, he won't really have any control in the matter.

Also I did not intend on quitting school. It sounds like you may have thought this was a part of my plan, but I intend to get my degree LOL even though I am not entirely sure what I am going to do with it when I get it.

Thanks for the concern and I will TRY to heed your warning because I can get a bit overtly excited and not look at the long term.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:54 PM

I think you should tell your Dad.

In my experience what mostly worries parents is the unreasonable expectation that their child will lose all their money and turn into a degenerate gambling addict who will do anything to fund their vice.

I don't know your Dad (obv) but I suspect he might be more concerned that you were keeping a secret from him.

Does your Dad ever pay money to go to sports events? Think of it like that, you're paying to play a sport and sometimes you get free tickets! Don't forget to stress that Poker is educational (on many levels, maths, psychology, emotional control...etc).

Whatever you decide good luck.