Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2006, 08:51 PM

Default Joe Hachem\'s antics

If I won a main event bracelet and $7,500,000 there is no way I'd be living and dying with every card the way he does. Is there more to the story that I don't know? Did he have a lot of backers?

Guy sucks out on me and I'd laugh and say nice hand, fish as I walked back to my Bentley that took me to my mansion in the hills overlooking Las Vegas.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Joe Hachem\'s antics

[ QUOTE ]
Is there more to the story that I don't know?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called being competitive. All of the top players are extremley competitive. He wants to be known as a great player by everyone, and most importantly his peers. That's what you play for.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:34 PM

I get that. But, most of the other players with huge lifetime winnings don't visibly get effected like Hachem. The only 2 I can think of are Helmuth and Matisow. Both of whom appear to be mentally imbalanced. On the other side of the coin - Raymer, Doyle, Ivey, Chang, Greenstein, even Moneymaker and Varkoni take it in stride.

If you play enough poker you know how much luck is involved in the short term. To be going through those histrionics every big hand is a waste of energy and it makes you look immature.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:44 PM

i concur
Old 11-01-2006, 10:00 PM

It has everything to do with emotional stability, not financial.

If a player was under stress from losing a big pot that was devastating financially he'd cry, pitch a fit, etc.

Hellmuth and Hachem's "antics" as you put it, are usually beration of the other guy's play, not lamenting of the lost money. This indicates they are competitive or insecure or something.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:09 PM

Have you seen any of the WSOP final Tables that he has been in this year? When it is all-in he gets up, can't look at the board, alternates between pacing and hugging his wife. He yells out the card he want to come out. It's worse than me when my online account is down to my last $11 and I'm all-in in a 10+1 SNG.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:54 AM

There has already been a million threads talking about this..
Old 11-02-2006, 12:08 PM

BFD. So, because he won the ME, he's not supposed to care about winning another poker tourney ever again?

Most of these pros have money, that's not what it's about. It's about winning, pride, respect, etc. Hachem is an emotional guy and by his own admission has trouble keeping his emotions intact sometimes. But I'd rather watch him any day over some internet douche who high fives his buddies and screams at the top of his lungs after winning one pot.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I'd rather watch him any day over some internet douche who high fives his buddies and screams at the top of his lungs after winning one pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's different because he's a douche with a Main Event bracelet? Hachem is worse then any of the internet punks because while he still acts like them, he should be handling himself with class because he is in the public eye.

Seeing Hachem covering his eyes and chanting "No [whatever card will beat me]" while he's a 90% fav with one card to come is very disappointing and sickening. His antics after winning an allin is disgusting. His quotes are gayer then [censored]. He needs to just STFU and play his game ... he is a great player.

PASS THE SUGA
Old 11-02-2006, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But I'd rather watch him any day over some internet douche who high fives his buddies and screams at the top of his lungs after winning one pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's different because he's a douche with a Main Event bracelet? Hachem is worse then any of the internet punks because while he still acts like them, he should be handling himself with class because he is in the public eye.

Seeing Hachem covering his eyes and chanting "No [whatever card will beat me]" while he's a 90% fav with one card to come is very disappointing and sickening. His antics after winning an allin is disgusting. His quotes are gayer then [censored]. He needs to just STFU and play his game ... he is a great player.

PASS THE SUGA

[/ QUOTE ]

He's human. Your expectations to the contrary are unreasonable.