Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 11-11-2007, 03:04 PM

Default Afraid of playing

Hello.

I recently started to play Heads up sit and go's, and so far I've been quite succesfull. What is in between me and moving up to higher buy in's and building a bankroll (I'm yet to play anywhere higher than 10$), is obviously becoming a better player, but more importantly playing the game. Despite of the small amount of money at stake and a suitable roll, I find myself to be totally scared money. Or to be more precise, I'm scared of loosing.

I know this might sound a bit ridicilous, but when I play heads up, I feel that everything at the table is personal, and a single lost game can put me on mega tilt, especially if I put my moneys in at the wrong spot. This must be common, but I'm taking it so far I find it hard to make an iniative for starting a session, or get all red and sweaty (yes you heard me right, I'd be horrible in live games) as a result of a tense game. So whom else is as scared of loosing here as I am, and what do you do to counter this..(Taking therapy is not an option! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img])
Old 11-11-2007, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Afraid of playing

[ QUOTE ]
Hello.

I recently started to play Heads up sit and go's, and so far I've been quite succesfull. What is in between me and moving up to higher buy in's and building a bankroll (I'm yet to play anywhere higher than 10$), is obviously becoming a better player, but more importantly playing the game. Despite of the small amount of money at stake and a suitable roll, I find myself to be totally scared money. Or to be more precise, I'm scared of loosing.

I know this might sound a bit ridicilous, but when I play heads up, I feel that everything at the table is personal, and a single lost game can put me on mega tilt, especially if I put my moneys in at the wrong spot. This must be common, but I'm taking it so far I find it hard to make an iniative for starting a session, or get all red and sweaty (yes you heard me right, I'd be horrible in live games) as a result of a tense game. So whom else is as scared of loosing here as I am, and what do you do to counter this..(Taking therapy is not an option! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what it looks like AFTER you edited it? lol
Old 11-11-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hello.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what it looks like AFTER you edited it? lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Meaning what, that my question/topic is [censored]? I'm fine with that, I'll wait for another opinion and proceed to delete my thread if that's so. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2007, 03:59 PM

I'm afraid of starting a set of SNGs, and I only play 10-cent ones
Old 11-11-2007, 11:54 PM

Poker is not for you. If you feel this way while playing relatively low stakes AND while winning, then you're all but destined to make a big mistake and lose a lot of money if bad luck strikes you at the wrong time.

Stick to micro stakes or find another hobby imo. Far less emotional players than you have tilted their way into trouble.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Meaning what?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he meant your sentences are long and the structures need tweaking.

Anyway, play HU SNG's at a level that's challenging yet not tooo painful if you lose.

I would use them as a tool to learn how to read players better, not as a source of income. They are also good for experience when you get HU in a STT or MTT.

Just keep playing and get more experience and the jitters will wear off.

Also try new things like raising when you feel like folding. Reraising the guy. Resteal. Just be super aggressive for awhile and then play regular, and you won't be so afraid.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:03 AM

I disagree. He said he just started playing HU. He needs a little time to adapt.

PS: Moonrocket buy the book Killer Poker Shorthanded by John Vorhaus. It's mostly shorthanded but also has a chapter for HU.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:37 AM

go download a bunch of poker shows, watch it and learn from it. and realize these guys are playing for a whole lot more money and making quality decsions. you need to do the same and not be scared of money
Old 11-12-2007, 04:46 AM

Thanks for all the answers.

Maybe I'm too emotional when it comes to competitive games. Anyways I'll carry on studying and playing the game to become a better player. Off now to the heads up poker forums!

(I'll try to form a bit shorter sentences from now) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2007, 04:33 PM

therapy?