Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 11:17 PM

Default Re: Thinking about buying a used BMW

Cant afford/dont want to pay that much. 20K is the max I want to pay for a car. I heard the x series have transmission problems, thats why I was aiming for 320-323...

Its confusing. Some people say BMW is the [censored] and never breaks, some like Dcif says they like it but it break at every corner.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cant afford/dont want to pay that much. 20K is the max I want to pay for a car. I heard the x series have transmission problems, thats why I was aiming for 320-323...

Its confusing. Some people say BMW is the [censored] and never breaks, some like Dcif says they like it but it break at every corner.

[/ QUOTE ]

look at the years of the cars they are talking about. Cars first 1-5 years hardly break down, 5-15 year cars break down all the time
Old 09-08-2007, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"(the light issues will probably be another 1k)"

You realize that lights for a car cost like $20-50 (this is probably on the high side) right? And it's about 10 minutes (at most) to change it yourself right?

I've never owned a BMW but I doubt is "that" different. It sounds old enough that it would not be a whole bunch of LED lights. Look in your trunk and follow the wiring. This is like paying 1k to have someone change the light bulb in your kitchen. It's mind boggling.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think you guys are understanding the problem here.

if it was a few lights that was the problem i'd have fixed it myself.

i went to the auto store and purchased the bulbs for my make & model & year car. they (all 3 of them) were $3.50

i installed them myself and the issue was not fixed. i then talked to the guy and he said it is likely an electrical issue.

from experience, it seems that "electrical issues" take a few man hours to diagnose and fix plus a part or two. that plus $50 to "inspect" comes to like $600 or so bucks.

i may be lucky and it'd only be like $350 or $500. we'll see when i get off my lazy ass and deal with it.

Barron
Old 09-08-2007, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi there

So heres the deal, I have about 15K, 20K MAX to buy a car.

I tought about getting an honda obviously since its supposed to be the better cars now. But then I tought hey why not buy a little more used, but nicer car !?

SO I was thinking about getting something like a 320-323i, around 2001-2003, 100Kish km...

Yay or nay? Obviously if its pretty close in value Ill go for the style baby! Just trying to make sure its not a major waste of money.

Any advices from people who know something about cars will be very appreciated!

thanks guys [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i am very ahppy with my car.

in may 2006 i bought a 1998 740iL green BMW beige leather for $8400 cash with 126k miles on it.

since then i've spent about 11k on repairs, maintenance, fixing stupid sh*t that goes wrong.

i could have spent less but i always take it to the BMW dealership. they give me a loaner car and i know they do a great job.

i have 3 things that need fixing now but i'm lazy and they aren't masssively important and they next available loaner car is in like a month lol...(back left break light is out, back left turn signal is out, back left reverse light is out)

so yea, as people said, be prepared to fix, maintain the car. but i'll tell you from my personal experience, i couldn't have been happier with this car. it is an absolute dream to drive, smooth as all hell w/ tons of power also. insanely huge trunk (3 dead bodies easy [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) and a backseat that has almost too much legroom.

so while i may be biased, i've been through this process and still have the car. it currently has 148k miles on it. i'd expect this to last to about 250k which will be far more value to me than the $ i spent on it (it's already surpassed that benchmark though). i plan on happily driving this car into the ground for years [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

good luck,
Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron,

What are / were your projections for costs after the initial purchase? Also, at what point would it become "totaled" in terms of maintenance, and what would you estimate probabilities of that? I assume if something like the transmission fails the car is done financially, right? I guess 8k was just so far below market that its enough of a subsidy.

Sorry to semi hijack the thread, but buying 8-10 yr old cars has become an interesting new concept to me [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2007, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is some variability over the different models. I have 4 years on two used BMW's and haven't had a problem that required a dealership visit with either one.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi there

So heres the deal, I have about 15K, 20K MAX to buy a car.

I tought about getting an honda obviously since its supposed to be the better cars now. But then I tought hey why not buy a little more used, but nicer car !?

SO I was thinking about getting something like a 320-323i, around 2001-2003, 100Kish km...

Yay or nay? Obviously if its pretty close in value Ill go for the style baby! Just trying to make sure its not a major waste of money.

Any advices from people who know something about cars will be very appreciated!

thanks guys [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i am very ahppy with my car.

in may 2006 i bought a 1998 740iL green BMW beige leather for $8400 cash with 126k miles on it.

since then i've spent about 11k on repairs, maintenance, fixing stupid sh*t that goes wrong.

i could have spent less but i always take it to the BMW dealership. they give me a loaner car and i know they do a great job.

i have 3 things that need fixing now but i'm lazy and they aren't masssively important and they next available loaner car is in like a month lol...(back left break light is out, back left turn signal is out, back left reverse light is out)

so yea, as people said, be prepared to fix, maintain the car. but i'll tell you from my personal experience, i couldn't have been happier with this car. it is an absolute dream to drive, smooth as all hell w/ tons of power also. insanely huge trunk (3 dead bodies easy [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) and a backseat that has almost too much legroom.

so while i may be biased, i've been through this process and still have the car. it currently has 148k miles on it. i'd expect this to last to about 250k which will be far more value to me than the $ i spent on it (it's already surpassed that benchmark though). i plan on happily driving this car into the ground for years [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

good luck,
Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron,

What are / were your projections for costs after the initial purchase?

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty much none. i was naive (el d can vouch for that) and thought i was getting a great deal.

maybe 1k or something for inspection etc.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, at what point would it become "totaled" in terms of maintenance, and what would you estimate probabilities of that?

[/ QUOTE ]

the stuff i had to get done was stuff that typically goes wrong with this car (radiator, window issues(wouldn't go up/down), cruise control something or other, then it was 1.5k for the 130k mile checkup to fix everything).

the first 6mo i had it there was a constant barrage of "CHECK X" posted on the dash (the computer in the car tells me when i need to get something chekced).

since then it hasn't had one of those lights go on until the recent "CHECK BREAK LIGHT" "CHECK REAR LIGHT" saga.

i mean i will run the car into the ground such that something that would cost me another car happens to it.

i don't know how much a new transmission costs but probably that might do it. i'd say it is a 100% certainty that i'll total the car (in terms of wear and tear).

i really love it though:

[ QUOTE ]

I assume if something like the transmission fails the car is done financially, right? I guess 8k was just so far below market that its enough of a subsidy.

Sorry to semi hijack the thread, but buying 8-10 yr old cars has become an interesting new concept to me [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think i answered that above, lemme know if you have any other questions.

Barron
Old 09-08-2007, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is some variability over the different models. I have 4 years on two used BMW's and haven't had a problem that required a dealership visit with either one.

[/ QUOTE ]

some models have things that typically go wrong. it also depends on age. i don't know many cars that can be expected to last as they expect my car to last and be as beautiful and a great drive.

Barron
Old 09-08-2007, 01:43 PM

So anything worth mentionning about the kind of car Im aiming for ? 320-323i, 2001-2003, 80-120K km ?

Damn I really want one. After a sunbird 89 and a tercel 94, that would be teh nuts
Old 09-08-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So anything worth mentionning about the kind of car Im aiming for ? 320-323i, 2001-2003, 80-120K km ?

[/ QUOTE ]

As mentioned before, be sure and have the subframe checked.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

look at the years of the cars they are talking about. Cars first 1-5 years hardly break down, 5-15 year cars break down all the time

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. That is why I recommend people to lease BMW's and have free maintenance for the life of the lease.