Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 10-22-2007, 07:44 PM

Default 66 hits set - wait or raise?

15/30 Hawaiian Gardens
BB is loose passive, will bet TPTK or better, calls down light. MP is aggressive, with some odd betting tendencies that I don't quite have a handle on yet, but is definitely a thinking player.

Preflop:
2 limpers, hero calls 66 in the CO, SB completes, BB checkes.

Flop: 5 players, 10sb
A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB checks, 1 fold, MP bets, hero calls, SB folds, BB calls.

I put the bettor on TP, and figured I wanted the caller in with a 10 or a weak Ace in case I filled up when someone hit trips. Planned on popping the turn.

Bad spot to wait? Decent? Read dependent?

This hand played out very differently then I think it would at lower limits, so I wanted to check it with a couple of you medium stakes guys.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:57 PM

Default Re: 66 hits set - wait or raise?

Its a 5-way pot, just juice it now on the flop.

Also, caller could have KJ, 78, 89, or possibly even KQ.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:09 PM

OTOH, bettor is aggressive and will likely fire again on the turn, where hero can choose to raise. There's nothing to say the loose blind will not call two small bets anyway for a gut-shot. Rainbow board with the aggressive guy on his right, it's a prety good spot to wait. It will also redound to his benefit on future hands where hero is not as strong but wants to get to the river against Mr. Aggressive.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:15 PM

Eh, I've been slowplaying very little these days with outstanding results, usually a 3 bet by villian or even a turn c/r which I can 3 bet.

I kinda favor raises here pf. If I have loose blinds who will call any two and 2-3 limpers in front of me, I've been raising almost any pp pf, esp if it will buy me the button.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Eh, I've been slowplaying very little these days with outstanding results, usually a 3 bet by villian or even a turn c/r which I can 3 bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost never slowplay unless it's blatantly obvious. Get the money in while they're willing to put it in.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:06 PM

Thanks, it sounds like my suspicion that I should probably have popped it on the flop is favored about 2:1 here.

Results were unfortunate, and I wanted to be sure I wasn't just being results oriented.

For anyone who is interested MP was betting the 78 gutshot with a backdoor flush draw. BB called with the SAME 78 gutshot. A 9 fell on the turn. Not sure what the heck MP was doing betting into this flop.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:19 PM

I'd just raise it now. If MP really is a thinking player, then you calling this dry flop and raising the turn is going to set off alarm bells and he might even dump an A to your turn raise. The best way, imo, to get action from aggressive players is to put in a lot of action on the early streets where they like to splash around. If he's got something decent, he might even 3-bet you on the flop and you can still get in a turn raise.

The other players probably don't have much and this is a tough flop for even loose players to peel with, and often they'll call 2 bets with whatever trash they'll call 1 bet with.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:23 PM

i think there is nothing wrong with slowpaying this hand. u also dont want this pot heads up. There is no flush draw on the Flop. only think that beats u is a gutshot. Plus when u fill up on the turn and some1 hits trips. you will get more action. and if they do pick up their redraw flush draw. mp1 will bet. you will 2 bet and he will cold call 2 and miss 80% of the time. You Want him in there with a redraw
Old 10-22-2007, 08:05 PM

I would have raised MP on the flop. I don't want SB or BB to get a single bet call with a gut shot and/or back door flush. I especially don't want both to call with different gut shot draws...

Because I raise a lot on the flop with 2nd pair good kicker, I tend to get callers for two bets who have top pair. Once they call two on the flop, they will often call through the river.

I have lost too many slow played sets to gutshots to do it anymore with a board like this.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
15/30 Hawaiian Gardens
BB is loose passive, will bet TPTK or better, calls down light. MP is aggressive, with some odd betting tendencies that I don't quite have a handle on yet, but is definitely a thinking player.

Preflop:
2 limpers, hero calls 66 in the CO, SB completes, BB checkes.

Flop: 5 players, 10sb
A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB checks, 1 fold, MP bets, hero calls, SB folds, BB calls.

I put the bettor on TP, and figured I wanted the caller in with a 10 or a weak Ace in case I filled up when someone hit trips. Planned on popping the turn.

Bad spot to wait? Decent? Read dependent?

This hand played out very differently then I think it would at lower limits, so I wanted to check it with a couple of you medium stakes guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the way you did it. You don't want to make it two bets to the other guys on a rainbow flop with an ace up there. You'll scare them away. Plus, if one of the guys yet to act flopped two pair he may check raise and give you a chance to 3 bet. On a draw heavy board I raise the flop, but here I play it like you did.