Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 12-02-2007, 04:37 AM

Default Taking a Shot Moving Up?

How do we change our game when we take a shot at the next higher limit?

So we run pretty good for 10k hands at 10NL profiting 28 BI's without any significant downswings to speak of. We take a shot at 25NL when we reach a proper bankrolled amount. Now comes chapter 2...

First 315 hands at 25NL we find ourselves losing 5 BI's with virtually the same statistics (TAGish) as we found ourselves playing at 10NL. Had some bad beats combined with marginal spots which I couldn't decide which way to go.

Now I understand the quality of play is, supposedly, better at 25NL as compared to 10NL, but the irony in the downswing coming the second you move up in limits is a bit demotivating.

My stats for 10NL through 10k hands were 21/17 with a Total AF of 3.6

25NL through 315 hands was 17/16 Total AF of 4.5...I found myself getting played back at when I was raising too many hands, therefore I tightened up my pf hand selection a tad. AF will come down with a larger sample size I think.

After this run I'm forced to move back down to 10NL until I'm bankrolled for 25NL again.

When I try again should I take the same approach? Any thoughts, comments, similar experiences? Do I need to shift my game drastically for 25NL?
Old 12-02-2007, 04:42 AM

Default Re: Taking a Shot Moving Up?

Stop looking at your stats. Play poker. Play more hands. 10k is a one day session for some people here. 28BI is a heater. 5BI is not a downswing, its normal variance.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
10k is a one day session for some people here. 28BI is a heater. 5BI is not a downswing, its normal variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems to me most people play around 10-15k a month. Is it that bogus to pose this problem I'm having, that which I think many players struggle with as well?
Old 12-02-2007, 04:55 AM

I dont think the level of play at those levels differences significantly enough for you to need to change your game. I suppose people will play back at you more but playing a style that forces people to play back at you puts them in an uncomfortable position, playing a style they aren't comfortable with. Trust me, this is a good thing. Preflop hands like KJ start looking like the nuts and you'll find people stacking off with weaker hands than their normal nitty, passive game would allow. Shoves for value will start working more often as will checking to induce bluffs. Don't get discouraged.