Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you trust the police?
Yes 24 28.24%
No 61 71.76%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Inherently good?

Let's say that you die tomorrow, awaking shocked at a set of doors. One of the doors is marked good and one is marked bad.

Obviously, depending upon your belief, your level of shock may vary, but let me emphasise, this is not a realm of any recognised religion. There is just two doors, one marked good and one bad. There is a sign on the wall reading 'afterlife reception' if you like. Between the two doors is a desk with Judge Judy sat behind it, looking through a document entitled - ' [your name]'s Life CV '

Without talking to you she looks up and says, 'Please continue through the door marked.....'
Old 11-13-2007, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Inherently good?

Judge Judy? [censored], I'm in trouble.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:55 PM

lol, just ask her to run it twice.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:11 PM

Can't answer. I don't know what the criteria / definition is for good and bad.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't answer. I don't know what the criteria / definition is for good and bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a reason the question is somewhat vague, I'll get to that.

If I must, let's say you just have to guess, and you are being judged on who you are as a person over the course of your life on Earth. Please be honest.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:34 PM

IMPORTANT! Please answer the first poll before scrolling down and reading the questions to these ones.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:50 PM

OK, so this thread is basically an extension of the thread 'If Jesus is the son of God, then I'll go to heaven' By Einbert (I think). Basically my point is that we all believe we live a good life and do what is 'right'.

Well that's not actually my entire point, it's a bit more subtle, and expansive, than that.

I remember watching a Matt Damon film, 'The talented Mr Rpley,' I think. There is a line in it - 'Nobody thinks they're a bad person.' And it struck a chord with me for some reason. I mean who would believe they had lead an unjust life, because they are judging it by their own standards, which are obviously skewed by their own moral judgement system, that obvioulsy lead their decision making.

So, expanding on that. If you believe that heaven/hell, or, heaven/nothing, or, nothing/hell or any other combination you care to think of.. Then you cannot have any idea wether or not you will get in.

The only arguement I have heard that let's us make any kind of decision about where we go, is that faith is the decider.

So, that leads me to the following (admittedly incomplete, unexpanded) conclusions. (All assuming there is a judgement based afterlife) Either they are faith based, in terms of the selection procedure, or there is nothing I can do about it , regarding how I live, as good and bad is too subjective. If 60% of the population get in, then I have 60% chance regardless of how I live, as we all believe ourselves to be good.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:55 PM

Has nobody in the course of human history every made a huge mistake, realized it after the fact, and spent the rest of their life regretting that mistake? Those people might consider themselves "bad people."
Old 11-13-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Has nobody in the course of human history every made a huge mistake, realized it after the fact, and spent the rest of their life regretting that mistake? Those people might consider themselves "bad people."

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you underestimate an individual's capability for self-justification. Those cases would be exceedingly rare.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:57 PM

I know it's only a small sample, but so far 100% of respondants answered yes to 'are you a good person'.