Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you trust the police?
Yes 24 28.24%
No 61 71.76%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Inherently good?

[ QUOTE ]
I know it's only a small sample, but so far 100% of respondants answered yes to 'are you a good person'.

[/ QUOTE ]

We dont have many Catholics that post here I guess! Or Calvinists.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:01 PM

Does that make my stance any less correct?

My stance, I suppose, is that Einbert, in his thread "I'm going' to heaven 'cause I'm good" is irrelevant because he is judging good from his own view of his life.

As I suggest everybody would.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:37 PM

i think "good" voters are overrepresented on this forum.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:29 PM

By my personal standards, I shouldn't be allowed to live...by average morality I suppose I'm passable.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:51 PM

i'm in the grocho marx situation -
I don't want to be good if that's what judge judy would rule. I want to be judged good by somebody that can tell the difference.

luckyme
Old 11-14-2007, 09:12 AM

On the first question I voted "bad" because that's my way of saying "Screw you" to douchebags trying to pull stupid experiments on me (I'm not talking about OP).

But since I have no clear idea of what a "good person" is, I cannot answer the other two.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's say that you die tomorrow, awaking shocked at a set of doors. One of the doors is marked good and one is marked bad.

Obviously, depending upon your belief, your level of shock may vary, but let me emphasise, this is not a realm of any recognised religion. There is just two doors, one marked good and one bad. There is a sign on the wall reading 'afterlife reception' if you like. Between the two doors is a desk with Judge Judy sat behind it, looking through a document entitled - ' [your name]'s Life CV '

Without talking to you she looks up and says, 'Please continue through the door marked.....'

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a few problems with submitting myself to Judge Judy as my judge. For one thing Judge Judy is never "slow to anger". She comes to some mighty quick conclusions.

She might miss this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFZdWAVXaW0
Old 11-14-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm in the grocho marx situation -
I don't want to be good if that's what judge judy would rule. I want to be judged good by somebody that can tell the difference.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

Judge Judy was an attempt at humour. Imagine a person you do not know then...
Old 11-14-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let's say that you die tomorrow, awaking shocked at a set of doors. One of the doors is marked good and one is marked bad.

Obviously, depending upon your belief, your level of shock may vary, but let me emphasise, this is not a realm of any recognised religion. There is just two doors, one marked good and one bad. There is a sign on the wall reading 'afterlife reception' if you like. Between the two doors is a desk with Judge Judy sat behind it, looking through a document entitled - ' [your name]'s Life CV '

Without talking to you she looks up and says, 'Please continue through the door marked.....'

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a few problems with submitting myself to Judge Judy as my judge. For one thing Judge Judy is never "slow to anger". She comes to some mighty quick conclusions.

She might miss this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFZdWAVXaW0

[/ QUOTE ]

Splendour, please see my last post RE Judy.

Also I would like to draw your attention to this part of the OP - 'but let me emphasise, this is not a realm of any recognised religion'. Which renders some of your thoughts from your post irrelevant.

You awake from your death in this room, and are shocked that you were wrong about Christianity! Just as I awake there and am shocked that there is an afterlife! (Or, if it helps you to suspend your disbelief, imagine the shock of someone who doesn't believe in your religion awakening in your version of the afterlife, then imagine you are that person awakening in mine (From the OP))
Old 11-14-2007, 03:18 PM

That depends entirely on Judge Judy's criteria, and I am not sure what those are.