Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 10:08 AM

Default Flop bet %\'s what does this tell us?

"semi related; tight players seem to bet about 15% of flops while a large group bet about 30% and some very aggresive players like 50%+ of the flops they see. Any thought to what this may mean? would a bet from the tight player mean 2 pair or better made hand or a strong draw while 30% would be any pair or better and any draw?

Chris"

This is completely ripped from another thread but i feel it warrants a fair amount of discussion

I'm probably within the 30% category Chris; although i get up to the 50% when short handed....

i guess the 15% 'nits' are mostly nut peddlers; thus I'd reduce their range to at least top two PLUS draws or better OOP;

do these same players make more moves in position or are they relatively passive if they haven't hit?

as for the 50% maniacs; repop them preflop and hope to hit bottom pair or better [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

seriously, anyone else have any views?
Old 10-21-2007, 10:40 AM

Default Re: Flop bet %\'s what does this tell us?

One of the things to consider here is the people who minbet in early position,
this is basically a check but lets you know how many people are interested in the hand.
It can also help to make your stats look a bit looser than you really are, without risking anything.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Flop bet %\'s what does this tell us?

as the crow flies i happened to be in a game earlier where one player was consistently betting small (3 or 4$) into raised pots oop.... this particular player also decided to bet 8$ into a 40$ pot with the low str and lost to a river flush by yours truly... I make a point of raising such players >90% of the time regardless (i added a 'folds to flop raise' figure on my PAHUD after i had a guy do this a few months ago and needed to counter)

I quite like the idea of minibetting oop to make it look like you're a loose player; however strong players will notice this and raise at will; if however one restricts this move to 10% bluff, 10% weak draw and 10% nuts/huge drw; playing the rest 'as normal' then it becomes very difficult to read

I might try and experiment with this anyhow because i sometimes get over aggro with almost locks such as top set plus nut flush drw

interesting point tho