Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Re: WSOP 10k highlight hand ... Antonius v Mizrachi (the other one)

I think Mizrachi played it perfect versus PA's range (which is mostly big flush or air).

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like a fairly obvious push/fold decision to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pushing the turn with 9 high flush seems very bad. PA is not folding better hands, not calling with worse hands, and will almost never have a hand that can draw out.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:23 PM

I was watching this FT in person and when Mizrachi bet the river, I thought "I really like this line if he has a small flush." He can call the turn thinking he's ahead often enough with his flush and still bet the river as a bluff. He figures PA has either the nuts or air on the turn (rather than a set), so he calls probably planning to c/re-eval the river. Then when the board pairs, against that range, betting the river is perfect. If he checks, patrik will prob bet the nut flush for value, but will also prob bet his air, putting Miz in a tough spot. So by betting, not only can he potentially bluff out higher flushes, but he also prevent air hands from bluffing him out.

Overall I thought Robert played the FT very well, repeatedly owning patrik, including a nice call-down with a 2-6 straight on a 34c5cxxc board.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Mizrachi played it perfect versus PA's range (which is mostly big flush or air).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Pushing the turn with 9 high flush seems very bad. PA is not folding better hands, not calling with worse hands, and will almost never have a hand that can draw out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Solid post.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously doubt the part in bold is true, and this is the main reason why a push > call in my opinion. Also, I never meant to suggest that push > fold.

Calling is only the best line if he thinks PA is drawing virtually dead and aggressive enough to put another bet out on the river. But such a hand will almost certainly check behind or fold on the river just as readily as on the turn.

The only other potential reason to call is if Mizrachi puts PA squarely on a naked better flush, but can get him to fold if the board pairs. If so, that makes 12 potential scare cards. If Mizrachi has the 8d to go with his 9d (the hand summaries on say he had an 8 and a second diamond) he would also have 2 str-fl outs, giving him a total of 14 "outs". However, he would need PA to fold a paired board close to 100% of the time to make this mildly profitable.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously doubt the part in bold is true, and this is the main reason why a push > call in my opinion. Also, I never meant to suggest that push > fold.

Calling is only the best line if he thinks PA is drawing virtually dead and aggressive enough to put another bet out on the river. But such a hand will almost certainly check behind or fold on the river just as readily as on the turn.

The only other potential reason to call is if Mizrachi puts PA squarely on a naked better flush, but can get him to fold if the board pairs. If so, that makes 12 potential scare cards. If Mizrachi has the 8d to go with his 9d (the hand summaries on say he had an 8 and a second diamond) he would also have 2 str-fl outs, giving him a total of 14 "outs". However, he would need PA to fold a paired board close to 100% of the time to make this mildly profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the board doesn't pair, Robert is almost certainly praying that the river goes check-check.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the board doesn't pair, Robert is almost certainly praying that the river goes check-check.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which, of course, is a major problem since there's an excellent chance that it wouldn't.

The line you suggest requires PA to nit up on the river a high percentage of the time (either folding higher flushes on a paired board or checking behind with lower flushes on a brick river). It really requires a lot of things to come together just right.

Of course, if Mizrachi actually had all this going through his mind and had the read to back it up, major props to him. But it seems easier to explain the call as simply bad play.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:49 PM

PA never 2 barrels with a set or 2p unless its some funky bottom two pair so river pairing is actually good for Robert since that way he can creditably bluff PA out of his bluff/higher flush and PA can never call. So on the turn his hand is a bluff catcher and I guess he is good good amount of the time vs player like PA, so I don't mind calling the turn. And bluff-shoving the river is awesome because as stated PA can never call the river shove because he never has a boat but Robert could easily have a boat. And for this reason and reasons stated above (wont fold better, wont call with worse) shoving the turn with the 9-high flush is totally retarted.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PA never 2 barrels with a set

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you get this from?
Old 07-06-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesnt make any sense to 2barrel with a set on a 1-tone flop in position. What is he getting value from? What is he protecting against? The only possibility is that PA has a set + the naked ace but I don't see any reason to bet the turn even in this scenario.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesnt make any sense to 2barrel with a set on a 1-tone flop in position. What is he getting value from? What is he protecting against? The only possibility is that PA has a set + the naked ace but I don't see any reason to bet the turn even in this scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm taking "never" to literally, but it is possible to have a flush and a set (or two pair). Also, you seem to assume a priori that Mizrachi never lays down a weak flush.