Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 03:44 AM

Default Re: Personal / dating / whatever life situation gen advice - volume 2

Girlfriend and I broke up mutually in August. I wanted to get back together in Sept, she said no. Mid Oct I talk to her and she says she isn't ready to start anything w/ me again, she's with someone else, she needs more time. I tell her that I'm never going to contact her again, but she knows how to reach me.

She called twice tonight, 15 minutes apart, while I was out at the movies. Left no message. WTF is my play? I don't know if she was ready to throw herself at me, or if the cat was sick or her mom died.

Of note:
1. it was a long distance relationship for the last year, I was going to move out there in jan
2. i'm dating someone else, happy with it, but not super happy.
3. right or wrong, i'd probably drop everything to give her a another go.

With that in mind, should I call her back? Text? Email? Ignore? I was doing well thinking that she was gone...now wtf

*what is our take on her calling twice, 15 minutes apart, and not leaving messages?
Old 11-08-2007, 04:06 AM

just call her and ask what's up.

it could be something mundane (ie, what's the password to that joint website account) or it might be something else.

you'll never, never know if you never, never go.

(australia's northern territory used that as an advertising slogan for tourism)
Old 11-08-2007, 05:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Have any of you dated or married or whatever with a girl who is significantly less intelligent than you?

[/ QUOTE ]
In my experience, it's not a deal breaker, or even a huge problem, as long as you respect each other. It doesn't have to get in the way of having great discussions, or learning from each other.

When the respect wasn't there, I felt I couldn't take the relationship seriously, which was a problem for me. YMMV.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Have any of you dated or married or whatever with a girl who is significantly less intelligent than you?

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense to the ladies, but I'm strongly considering looking for a chick who doesn't speak english on the other side of the world (this doesn't mean she's stupid, but her intelligence will be hard to discern beyond the speed with which she picks up english). I think a loving relationship could develop and might even be more sustainable in this kind of situation, but I'd welcome other thoughts.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ave any of you dated or married or whatever with a girl who is significantly less intelligent than you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Short term it is fine. Actually preferable. Long term no.

Avg intelligence is a deal breaker for long or short term.

That being said some guys wouldn't mind a girl not being that smart. It would give them some extra control in the relationship. Not my thing and that you are asking implies it is probably not yours either.

--------

Phone number and no name: I've managed to go on 3 dates with a girl and no name.

I assume the number is a cell number and not a landline otherwise I'd suggest a reverse directory.

If the bar you met her at is one of her favourites she might have joined it's Facebook group or you might have other information that would help you find her on Facebook.

I wouldn't admit to not remembering it. If you were both drunk then maybe but since she drove she was sober enough. Just fake it long enough until it comes up normally.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf noobs

i go for days w/o calling anyone by their name

[/ QUOTE ]
I do that, but I think it's probably a bad habit and worth fixing
Old 11-08-2007, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys,

How important is having comparable intelligence levels in a long term relationship?

For example, if your girlfriend was really nice to you, had a great personality, and was physically attractive, but she is not as smart as you, how would that impact things? Where does intelligence rank on the totem pole?

[/ QUOTE ]

That poll really upset you, huh?
Old 11-08-2007, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense to the ladies, but I'm strongly considering looking for a chick who doesn't speak english on the other side of the world (this doesn't mean she's stupid, but her intelligence will be hard to discern beyond the speed with which she picks up english). I think a loving relationship could develop and might even be more sustainable in this kind of situation, but I'd welcome other thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I gave up dating girls who aren't native English speakers. I joke around and am very sarcastic and use irony a lot and it gets you down to have to continually explain things to the point when you don't bother joking around anymore.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:45 AM

A girl has to be able to understand my jokes and hold a conversation with me consistently. That's as far as her intelligence needs to take her.

You'd be surprised how hard it is to find a girl that fits that criteria thoguh
Old 11-08-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A girl has to be able to understand my jokes and hold a conversation with me consistently. That's as far as her intelligence needs to take her.

You'd be surprised how hard it is to find a girl that fits that criteria thoguh

[/ QUOTE ]

I know exactly how hard it is. It took me 36 years to find an awesome one. Worth the wait though.