Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit

Old 12-01-2007, 12:50 AM

Default To move up...

I recently moved up from .25/.50 to .50/1 and I have had a lot more success then I could have hoped for, if I continue at this rate, I will be bankrolled for 1/2 by the end of the week.

Every once in a while I try multi tabling, and I don't usually have very good sessions with 2 or 3 tables, generally with two I either have 1 table way up, the other I lose a buy in, or I do ok at both up or down 1bb or so. And at three tables I generally lose on all three tables. I don't feel my play is worse, I almost feel that these are just coincidences. Yet, every time I try these are my results.

I would love to be comfortable multi tabling, before I get to much higher in limits, I just can't seem to pull in winning sessions doing so, let alone the scale of wins I have on one table.

I realize this is not a beginners feat.

How many of you multi table?
How many tables?
Do you remember going through this?
How should I start?
When did you know you were ready?

That was a lot of questions...
Old 12-01-2007, 12:55 AM

Default Re: To move up...

Go to the play tables and multi table until you are comfortable with the speed you will be making decisions at, get the mechanics down so to speak. Then don't try and move up and multi table at the same time. Move down a level so you aren't worried about the losses so much.

You may also have to face the fact that it is going to take a while to get your multi table game to the same level as your single table game.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:13 AM

i don't advocate multi tabling until you are really solid with how you are playing. Micro's aren't about amassing cash they are about learning how to play the game.

When you are very solidly in the win column and have a double bankroll for the level you are playing at and where the cash starts to have some impact on your experience, then it is at that level that I suggest one starts to try multi tabling.

When I first started multitabling, and I am by no means an expert, I basically kept it very simple.

I would start at a table that I hand selected and spent some time getting reads on the table and making notes on hot players (ie those that gave lots of action and made lots of mistakes)

If I marked two players as hot then I would add another table to the mix and spend time focusing on that table. By highlighting the hot players or the action players at the first table I knew what hands to let go in difficult situations and which ones to push so that I would need to spend less energy on the play study and could focus more on the most opportune times to push my edge.

In other words, I felt comfortable playing tighter and more aggressively. This allowed me to not lose much of the edge I had at the first table and still play with a lot of success at the new table.

I stuck with two tables for a very long time and only jumped to table number two when I had built a few bb lead at the first table.

After awhile as I grew more comfortable with the level and the players and got faster in my decision making process and eventually am at a point now where I can sit down at 4 6 max tables and play them all at once.

I anticipate that I lose around 1 bb/100 with 4 tables but it could be a bit more.

Nevertheless, I don't multitable for long, usually less than an hour before my eyes start to hurt and I am no longer able to concentrate well enough.

At one point I might decide to get a faster computer with a better video system than the old crt I use now but that is for later.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:16 AM

Thank you smurf, very good advice in there on this subject.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:21 AM

grunching, but I saw a long reply already so I may be repeating things...

Simple answers to your questions:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Quite a few. I usually do, unless I'm just donking around and/or my session is officially over & I'm just playing out one great table.

[ QUOTE ]
How many tables?

[/ QUOTE ]
I feel most comfortable with 3, although I'm confident in my ability to win while 4-tabling (full ring, not so much 6max). I know there are guys out there playing upwards of 12 tables at a time, but I have no idea how they do it.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hells yes. When I first started trying to 2-table I felt lost all the time on both games, misclicked half the time, and had some pretty lousy results.

[ QUOTE ]
How should I start?

[/ QUOTE ]
Slowly, and at stakes that don't much matter to your bankroll. Even cutting your multitabling teeth on play money tables is an option.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I was utterly confident in my ability to beat the games, which in fairness were a lot softer back then. As I put in more and more hands while multitabling, I got more and more comfortable doing so. Added the third table not too long after that, and worked in a fourth soon after. Basically, I knew I was ready to add another table when I found myself getting bored while playing, and doing things like watching tv, surfing pr0n, posting here, etc.

A few more suggestions:

-First and foremost, get a setup that allows you to multitable with no overlap. Whether that means a bigger/better monitor, resizing the tables, or sitting a bit closer to your desk. The thing that killed me early on was trying to play two tables with overlap, where one kept popping up in front of the other one. Once I got a bigger monitor that supported a higher resolution setting, things got much easier.
-Again, work your way into it slowly. In addition to dropping down in stakes, don't make multitabling your new norm immediately--try it for short periods at the beginning of your sessions, when you're fresh & focused. Try not to get involved in short-handed tables at first, as they obviously play much faster (and involve more thinking during hands).
-If you haven't already, invest in a HUD program to go with PT or whichever tracking software you use. Having those little numbers overlaid on your tables makes a huge difference, and allows for much faster decision-making in your games.
-This may sound kooky, but if you're still struggling to keep up while playing two tables, try watching two tables at once for a while. Not trying to take in every single action that takes place in each hand, but focusing in on one or two players at each table & following their decisions. Being able to effectively prioritize & divide your attention is a huge part of multitabling.
-If you still aren't feeling it, then don't force it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with single-tabling, and in fact for the recreational/developing player, it's probably best to stick with one-tabling as long as you can stand it. Your game will improve faster, as will your overall understanding of poker & ability to read others' hands. Multi-tabling is a great way for a winning player to increase his hourly earn without having to move up in stakes, but it also tends to diminsh the speed of his development as a poker player.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I knew I was ready to add another table when I found myself getting bored while playing, and doing things like watching tv, surfing pr0n, posting here, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-01-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
grunching, but I saw a long reply already so I may be repeating things...

Simple answers to your questions:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Quite a few. I usually do, unless I'm just donking around and/or my session is officially over & I'm just playing out one great table.

[ QUOTE ]
How many tables?

[/ QUOTE ]
I feel most comfortable with 3, although I'm confident in my ability to win while 4-tabling (full ring, not so much 6max). I know there are guys out there playing upwards of 12 tables at a time, but I have no idea how they do it.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hells yes. When I first started trying to 2-table I felt lost all the time on both games, misclicked half the time, and had some pretty lousy results.

[ QUOTE ]
How should I start?

[/ QUOTE ]
Slowly, and at stakes that don't much matter to your bankroll. Even cutting your multitabling teeth on play money tables is an option.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I was utterly confident in my ability to beat the games, which in fairness were a lot softer back then. As I put in more and more hands while multitabling, I got more and more comfortable doing so. Added the third table not too long after that, and worked in a fourth soon after. Basically, I knew I was ready to add another table when I found myself getting bored while playing, and doing things like watching tv, surfing pr0n, posting here, etc.

A few more suggestions:

-First and foremost, get a setup that allows you to multitable with no overlap. Whether that means a bigger/better monitor, resizing the tables, or sitting a bit closer to your desk. The thing that killed me early on was trying to play two tables with overlap, where one kept popping up in front of the other one. Once I got a bigger monitor that supported a higher resolution setting, things got much easier.
-Again, work your way into it slowly. In addition to dropping down in stakes, don't make multitabling your new norm immediately--try it for short periods at the beginning of your sessions, when you're fresh & focused. Try not to get involved in short-handed tables at first, as they obviously play much faster (and involve more thinking during hands).
-If you haven't already, invest in a HUD program to go with PT or whichever tracking software you use. Having those little numbers overlaid on your tables makes a huge difference, and allows for much faster decision-making in your games.
-This may sound kooky, but if you're still struggling to keep up while playing two tables, try watching two tables at once for a while. Not trying to take in every single action that takes place in each hand, but focusing in on one or two players at each table & following their decisions. Being able to effectively prioritize & divide your attention is a huge part of multitabling.
-If you still aren't feeling it, then don't force it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with single-tabling, and in fact for the recreational/developing player, it's probably best to stick with one-tabling as long as you can stand it. Your game will improve faster, as will your overall understanding of poker & ability to read others' hands. Multi-tabling is a great way for a winning player to increase his hourly earn without having to move up in stakes, but it also tends to diminsh the speed of his development as a poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

^^^what he said^^^

is this post from my gimmick account?
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't advocate multi tabling until you are really solid with how you are playing. Micro's aren't about amassing cash they are about learning how to play the game.

When you are very solidly in the win column and have a double bankroll for the level you are playing at and where the cash starts to have some impact on your experience, then it is at that level that I suggest one starts to try multi tabling.

When I first started multitabling, and I am by no means an expert, I basically kept it very simple.

I would start at a table that I hand selected and spent some time getting reads on the table and making notes on hot players (ie those that gave lots of action and made lots of mistakes)

If I marked two players as hot then I would add another table to the mix and spend time focusing on that table. By highlighting the hot players or the action players at the first table I knew what hands to let go in difficult situations and which ones to push so that I would need to spend less energy on the play study and could focus more on the most opportune times to push my edge.

In other words, I felt comfortable playing tighter and more aggressively. This allowed me to not lose much of the edge I had at the first table and still play with a lot of success at the new table.

I stuck with two tables for a very long time and only jumped to table number two when I had built a few bb lead at the first table.

After awhile as I grew more comfortable with the level and the players and got faster in my decision making process and eventually am at a point now where I can sit down at 4 6 max tables and play them all at once.

I anticipate that I lose around 1 bb/100 with 4 tables but it could be a bit more.

Nevertheless, I don't multitable for long, usually less than an hour before my eyes start to hurt and I am no longer able to concentrate well enough.

At one point I might decide to get a faster computer with a better video system than the old crt I use now but that is for later.

[/ QUOTE ]

v good post, ty.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:25 PM

great great stuff guys thank you very much.

A+ Multi tabling post harv