Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 06:49 PM

Default BR Management - I need help.

I tried to use the archives to search for any stellar posts on bankroll management (preferably a long post, similar to a persuasive essay) but I must be a fool because I can't navigate them. I always ALWAYS break my bankroll constraints and play out of my limits. I don't want to do that anymore. Anyone know of a convincing post that will help me see the light?
Old 11-20-2007, 07:15 PM

Default Re: BR Management - I need help.

Lose $10k or any amount that is fairly significant to you by playing outside your bankroll/skill level.

Bankroll management was developed for a reason. If you just write it off the possible loss of your bankroll as 'entertainment' than you aren't going to worry about much. If you will quit poker when you lose your bankroll, you will probably 'find religion' so to speak.

So if you don't mind losing the money, bankroll management will never be that important to you.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:27 PM

I don't know if that is actually helpful or not. What are you talking about lol. I often lose amounts that are significant to me (farrrr less than $10k) and don't do it for giggles. I do it because I'm overly confident and play games that I feel I can beat, not games that I should play. BTW, I live in Eddystone and go to school right by Media.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:37 PM

It depends here.

You say 'farrrr less than $10K', do you have a $50 bankroll, 2 tabling 25NL and busting? I mean, if you have a bankroll anything under $200 (unless playing SNGs) you will most likely HAVE to take shots and play outside a 'comfortable' bankroll management. Chris Ferguson did this as well in his $0 to $10K challenge, he played way outside of what he should have until around $30 when he began SNGs.

Now, if you're losing $1K a time, where you should be grinding NL25 and you're playing 100NL or 200NL, then you have a problem. I doubt very highly any 'essay' or post/internet reading is going to help you much (it wouldn't me anyway). You need to stop, slow down, and realize what you're doing. Realize the value of a dollar (you say the money is very significant then you) and that you need this money. Try and visual the money in front of you (say you have $500 online, and try putting 25 $20 bills in front of you, then them disappearing) and realize that and think about it in your mind before you open up that 100NL or 200NL table.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:40 PM

erocplayer...
TBH it just clicked with me recently about bankroll management being crucial as I was having a conversation with another 2p2er..

Frankly everyone loses a few buy ins now and then on coolers (I lost 2 today when it was all in with the nuts on the flop)

Ive noticed that one I started really trying to grind stakes I was actually rolled for ($25NL) I was actually a consistent winner there. I had played there many months ago as a winner but instead of staying log enough to get 20 buyins for the next level I moved up and ran hot. Moved up again to $100NL and was busto soon.

Done this a ton of times and finally said [censored] it I will listen to this 2p2er... I know am overrolled for my limit and am going to be back at $100NL with over 20 buyins in < 2 weeks.

My game is the same and I am still winning but the first dozen times I had a 5 buyin+ down swing and was busto..
Old 11-20-2007, 07:54 PM

I think a big thing to remind yourself is that poker is not a 'get rich quick' hobby. IT is a grind $2000 bankroll means you are playing $100NL with a winrate of 3ptbb/hour thats $6 per table per hour.. Its a grind.

Bankroll management tries to insure you from going bust but will mean a slow climb up. But also remember as you are grinding you are learning.

If you are not happy playing 10k hands at a level, reviewing hands, repeat the process... then grinding is not for you.