Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes

Old 11-12-2007, 01:48 AM

Default a hand vs PA, 200/400 HU

there haven't been too many interesting strategy posts in HSNL in god knows how long, so i'm volunteering a hand. depending on how good discussion gets, i may post some more.

This hand is from a session I played against him towards the end of the summer. He's very very tough heads up and loves to checkraise c-bets, more frequently than anyone I've ever played. He follows through with his entire range very, very often. He also peels very light, will float... very tough to get to fold without putting all the money in. He raises something close to 100% of the button and defends his BB way way more than he should. He calls lots of 3-bets but does not 3-bet very often himself (I'm not sure if this is indicative of him during this specific session or in general, b/c I remember seeing hands vs durr and aba way back when where he would 3-bet very light preflop).

I've been getting pretty trixy postflop but for the most part have not been hitting any good bluff catchers or found many good spots to slowplay to induce bluffs. When the money has gone in it's been pretty standard (top pair vs better top pair, top pair vs overpair, draws vs two pair, etc).

Effective stacks are 80k and I open 58cc. PA defends.

Flop is 4c6c6d. Check, I bet 1600 and get c/red to 7100. I call.

Turn Tc and he bets 16k, which is very close to pot. I call.

River 4s. He thinks for a bit and bets 45k.

Who calls, and why?

I'm curious about what people think of my flop and turn play, too.

If you fold here, what is the best hand you look him up with?
Old 11-12-2007, 03:18 AM

Default Re: a hand vs PA, 200/400 HU

i'd prob fold here but call with... about the king high flush
Old 11-12-2007, 03:28 AM

why? you think he vbets a bigger flush?
Old 11-12-2007, 03:58 AM

can't he be putting us on stuff like JJ/TT and just be looking to get a fold? its gross but i think calling is reasonable since hes so damn aggressive.

tbh, the read you posted points sooooooo much in favor of a call that i think maybe you called and lost, and are doubting yourself. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2007, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why? you think he vbets a bigger flush?

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the way they'd been playing I'm pretty damn sure he bets better flushes. He def would vbet the nut flush, and probably lower......
Old 11-12-2007, 04:17 AM

i know its good to mix it up and yada yada yada, but since he knows that we know he c/rs alot, why not push the turn since we could be doing it with less than a flush when we think he is FOS
Old 11-12-2007, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i know its good to mix it up and yada yada yada, but since he knows that we know he c/rs alot, why not push the turn since we could be doing it with less than a flush when we think he is FOS

[/ QUOTE ]

i would guess bc krantz estimates PA's range for calling the turn raise is narrower than his range for making a huge-ass river bet

also it seems from a logical standpoint that krantz is calling PA's turn bet (compared to raising) with a huge percentage of his range. given stacksizes krantz should figure to just call the turn with hands like trips, low flush, KK. i mean, this boils down to basic handreading which i could admittedly be incorrect at from afar.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:40 AM

I think a flop 3bet is really good. I don't see him bluff-4betting, and it's going to be very hard for him to play a hand like TT.

River is ugly because the flush+ is a pretty reasonable part of your range, so I don't know how often he's bluffing. Does he check an overpair on the river? Or the turn? Does he bet smaller on the turn with an overpair? Sucks that basically no lower flushes are in his range and it seem like he either has one of those or a boat. I think it's a fold but I would probably call in practice.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:39 AM

2 comments

-from your description PA sounds like a superstar HU, hearing talk like that is the sort of thing that makes me change my HU game into a spewy crazy monster.

-not much analysis other than a 6 doesn't seem right. maybe a flush draw he picked up on the turn, or more likely an actual higher flush than yours.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:04 AM

there is no way i am folding that.i call