Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 10-29-2007, 12:30 AM

Default Re: 2007 Pac 10 football thread

rwperu34,
FWIW, I'm not sure how much ASU got shafted on that fumbled punt at the end of the first half. The replay officials were able to completely avoid whether the fumble happened or not because the backjudge was indeed signaling the play was dead as the mad scramble for the ball ensued. What the replay officials never really ruled on was whether Jackson fumbled before he was down or not. I spent about 5 minutes watching the DVR of the slow-mo frame-by-frame to see what the correct call was. Believe it or not, Jackson's knee hit the ground in the exact same fram that the tackler's knee jarred the ball from Jackson's hands. IMO, it was simultaneous. Oh yeah, I saw some ASU boards that said Jackson landed on top of the defender and was never down. While partly true as Jackson did land on top of the defender, for part of the play, Jackson's knee DID hit the ground.
So, I wouldn't go so far as to call it a shaft. However, it definitely didn't go ASU's way.

I think it was more unreal that 3 very close calls the first half didn't go ASU's way. Jackson's TD reception for Cal was very close and could've gone either way.

In addition, the Carpenter fumble and Cal return for a TD might have been a face mask. I never got more than one replay angle, which was inconclusive. The tackler clearly hit Carpenter's pads first. Then, the tackler's hand drags. Carpenter's helmet clearly moves, but he was wearing it so loose the whole game that I'm not sure if the Cal player got a part of it or just brushed another part of the helmet, such as the strap or the side.

I would say it was extremely unfortunate that all 3 of those close calls went against ASU.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:50 AM

Enough with the small talk. What do you think the line will be and who are you going to take? I haven't watched enough of Oregon to know for sure, but I am positive that ASU is deserving of their ranking.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:56 AM

lines are already out...it was -7 IIRC
I'm staying away right now
Old 10-29-2007, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Enough with the small talk. What do you think the line will be and who are you going to take? I haven't watched enough of Oregon to know for sure, but I am positive that ASU is deserving of their ranking.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the line will be ASU (-3). ASU will cover.

If you can hold Oregon under 30 points they are very beatable if you have a competent offense. Cal held Oregon under 30 and beat them. USC did the same and came pretty close, and failed because their offense looked anything but competent (minus the occasional spark). Can Arizona State hold them under 30? I don't see why not. They stop the run almost as well as USC, and their pass D is one of the best in the country. The top 3 leaders for interceptions in the Pac 10 are all from ASU.

Three of the five Pac 10 teams Oregon has played have put up 30+ on them. There is no reason I can see why Arizona State can't put up 40.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ASU got shafted at the end of the first half on the fumbled punt where the both official made up a new rule on the spot to give Cal the ball back

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't a fumble. He was down before the ball popped out.
The ruling was stupid, but the end result was correct.

ASU definitely looked dominant. It was great seeing Erickson go nuts on the sideline after he won.

b
Old 10-29-2007, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Semtex, I'll bet you $500 that Oregon wins straight up. ASU doesn't even have to cover the three. We can have a mod escrow it for security.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:25 AM

That UCLA game was retarded.

They score on the 3rd play of the game, and from then on don't get into the red zone. The Cougs had the good fortune that their starting QB was out, their top 2 rbs were hurt, and their best WR got hung out to dry and had his chest shattered.

The Cougs played much better, bringing more heat on the QB, but it's easy to do that when UCLA had no wrs to exploit our biggest issue.

To me the lesson here is that UCLA sucks and was hurt, not that the Cougs don't blow or anything.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Semtex, I'll bet you $500 that Oregon wins straight up. ASU doesn't even have to cover the three. We can have a mod escrow it for security.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-29-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can hold Oregon under 30 points they are very beatable if you have a competent offense. Cal held Oregon under 30 and beat them. USC did the same and came pretty close, and failed because their offense looked anything but competent (minus the occasional spark). Can Arizona State hold them under 30? I don't see why not. They stop the run almost as well as USC, and their pass D is one of the best in the country. The top 3 leaders for interceptions in the Pac 10 are all from ASU.

Three of the five Pac 10 teams Oregon has played have put up 30+ on them. There is no reason I can see why Arizona State can't put up 40.

[/ QUOTE ]
Two of those three Pac Ten teams that scored over 30 (31 and 34, to be precise) did it while giving up 55. Oregon's defense isn't spectacular, but it's better than people give it credit for. Those two games you mention were largely a function of how often they got the ball. Scoring over 30 while holding Oregon UNDER 30 is a much much more difficult task. Cal did it, when Oregon turned the ball over four times in the fourth quarter. I wouldn't count on Oregon doing that again, though.

USC has one of the best defenses in the country, and played spectacular defensive football all game long, to hold Oregon to 24 points, ASU has a very good defense, but I don't think they're up to USC's caliber. Key stat: USC was allowing 2.2 yards per carry prior to the Duck game, ASU is allowing 3.2 yards per carry. Oregon just has too dominant of a rushing game for that extra yard to be anything but a big red flag.

Don't get me wrong, ASU is a great team, and it should be a great game. Your analysis is off, though, and there's no way ASU should be favored. Which is why they aren't.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Two of those three Pac Ten teams that scored over 30 (31 and 34, to be precise) did it while giving up 55. Oregon's defense isn't spectacular, but it's better than people give it credit for. Those two games you mention were largely a function of how often they got the ball. Scoring over 30 while holding Oregon UNDER 30 is a much much more difficult task. Cal did it, when Oregon turned the ball over four times in the fourth quarter. I wouldn't count on Oregon doing that again, though.

USC has one of the best defenses in the country, and played spectacular defensive football all game long, to hold Oregon to 24 points, ASU has a very good defense, but I don't think they're up to USC's caliber. Key stat: USC was allowing 2.2 yards per carry prior to the Duck game, ASU is allowing 3.2 yards per carry. Oregon just has too dominant of a rushing game for that extra yard to be anything but a big red flag.

Don't get me wrong, ASU is a great team, and it should be a great game. Your analysis is off, though, and there's no way ASU should be favored. Which is why they aren't.

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you think the line would be if ASU was home?