Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 01:11 PM

Default 8/16 turn decision

Live 8/16

Not a very exciting hand - just wanted some feedback.

Hero is on the button, UTG calls, mid position limps, hero limps w/ K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] SB calls, BB checks. (5 sb)

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB checks, UTG bets, MP folds, hero Raises, both blinds fold UTG calls.

Turn: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG checks, hero bets, UTG raises, hero folds.

Any justification for calling a turn check raise here?
Old 05-25-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Re: 8/16 turn decision

Nope. Pretty standard. I usually raise preflop for value unless I have a read that says 1 of the limpers is weak/tight.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:49 PM

how bout some reads?

i would raise pf for value.

8:2 on a calldown is pretty thin, but villain might do this with something like KoX[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and this is a reasonable spot to call down and develop a read. also, i'm a showdown monkey and we have top friggin' pair.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how bout some reads?

i would raise pf for value.

8:2 on a calldown is pretty thin, but villain might do this with something like KoX[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and this is a reasonable spot to call down and develop a read. also, i'm a showdown monkey and we have top friggin' pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling down is incorrect. If the worst hand you can put him on is KoXh, he draws out on you more than 1/4 of the time as it is. Getting 4:1 odds to call against the worst part of his range makes it an easy bet/fold.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:36 PM

OK - minus a preflop raise you took a "standard" line. It's fine. But there are also a couple of other ways of playing this. Not saying better, just different. Reads would help determine best line.

Option 1: Call flop and raise a safe (non heart) turn. As played we're not providing a heart draw incorrect odds to draw. Raising the turn after a safe card makes it incorrect and saves us a small bet if the heart does show.

Option 2: Check the turn once the heart shows and get to showdown cheaply.

Both are "weaker" lines than you took and have some merit depending upon read and likely range of opponent. The lines aren't winning us the most but up against this flush draw we might be saving bets. Cheers!
Old 05-25-2007, 02:53 PM

failing to raise the flop is criminal. a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] draw is never folding no matter what we do, assuming one is even out. your line doesn't save bets -- it misses them completely.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
failing to raise the flop is criminal.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 05-25-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK - minus a preflop raise you took a "standard" line. It's fine. But there are also a couple of other ways of playing this. Not saying better, just different. Reads would help determine best line.

Option 1: Call flop and raise a safe (non heart) turn. As played we're not providing a heart draw incorrect odds to draw. Raising the turn after a safe card makes it incorrect and saves us a small bet if the heart does show.

Option 2: Check the turn once the heart shows and get to showdown cheaply.

Both are "weaker" lines than you took and have some merit depending upon read and likely range of opponent. The lines aren't winning us the most but up against this flush draw we might be saving bets. Cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

Option one is bad, but option two isn't so bad, but I still think a b/f is better. If you can't really b/f(I can't with cards to come often) then line two is good in my opinion.

It's pretty tough to not get 4:1 on your money. It has to be like HU PF, flop gets checked and you're facing a bet on the turn, that's about it.

If there's even one flop bet you're getting odds or very close to it.