Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 09:17 PM

Default 11$ speed: Keeping shortie in to keep p0wning the bubble?

When I played tonight, I was fortunate enough (read: luckboxy) to have a huge stack when 4 handed on several occasion, and I was positively wrecking the bubble.

In this situation, there are no crazy people in the game left, all players are sane.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (4 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Button (t2260)
SB (t4540)
Hero (t11620)
UTG (t1580)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG moves all in [t1580] (this is an ATC-push, I know the player)
Hero?

This is an insta-call if I think straight-up EV for this hand. But keeping the shortie in will let me p0wn the bubble some more (maybe more +EV?), and bleed the others stacks some more. Of course there are also risks...

What are your general thoughts on this? Should I not over think this right now and focus on more basic stuff, or is this important?

Any references to good discussions on this subject?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:25 PM

Default Re: 11$ speed: Keeping shortie in to keep p0wning the bubble?

Its not incredibly important since this situation very rarely happens at all but..

IMO you should not be preserving the bubble in this spot. I only do that when, after folding and giving the short stack additional chips, he is still short enough to prevent the other stacks from calling wide. If you fold here it will put him over 2000 chips, and the other stacks will often call much wider because they are mad that you folded and because there is no longer a shorter stack.