Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 06:24 PM

Default 10/20 AKo at the Borg

A good 10 game at the Borg (3 weak spots and about 2 other solid players at the table). Villain in this hand is Billy (from Philly). He's sitting at my right and views me as a solid player. At the time of this hand, Billy is stuck around 15 BBs, still playing fairly agressive.

PF: Villain limps UTG, I raise w/AKo in UTG+1 all fold to Villain, who calls. (5.5 small bets)

Flop: JQ5, two clubs. Villain leads out, I raise (going for the free card, putting him on TPGK or top 2). He 3-bets, and I call (11.5 small bets)

Turn: JQ5A, 3 clubs. Villain leads out again, and I just call.

River JQ5A5, 3 clubs. Villain checks. I bet??

Couple questions
How was my play overall?
Do I raise the turn here, or is calling (or folding) correct?
Is the river bet a good value bet?

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Re: 10/20 AKo at the Borg

You say he's aggro, but you also say your flop read is TPGK or top two. If you really think he has that, I don't know what the raise is about. If he has QJ, AQ, KQ, and he's playing aggressively, you are basically staring down the barrel of a 3 pop most of the time, along with a re-lead on the turn. Without the read, just knowing he's aggressive, I like the flop raise. After that, given the hand as it was, I raise the turn, because I want to know if it's two pair. As played, I bet the river always, and expect to see KQ or an annoyed QJ a lot.

Other things: you say aggr., but more info about pf raising standards would be good. Also, I'm assuming this is AKo w/o Kc, b/c that would change things too.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:36 AM

I don't like raising the flop with that action, I think calling the flop intending to fold the turn unimproved is the smarter play. The flop contains two very (imo) dangerous cards, a queen and a jack. That is smack dab in limp callsville. On the turn, unless you have a read on him that says otherwise you should call and call a non club river (and probably a club river, since you said he was aggressive and it's heads up). Given that you beat any none ace two pair bet and fold to a check raise is my play.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:05 AM

I raise the turn because now he's going in to calldown mode and you can get a ton of free showdowns here. The river is a super easy bet.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:48 AM

Yes, bet the river. Don't worry so much about whether he will call with a worse hand. That's billy's job. Your job is to realize you are almost always best, and to bet your hand.

The turn is interesting, because Billy should have very few outs against you. If he has KQ, , or QT, or JT, he is drawing to 2 outs. If he has QJ, you are drawing to 12 outs. If he has a set of fives, AJ, or AQ, then you are drawing to
7 outs. Overall, you can't fold to a 3 bet on the turn, and it is unlikely you can make 3bb total from him (him calling your turn raise plus paying off on river ui) so calling seems best on 4th street, and the pot is not ginormous, so you don't need to encourage him to fold.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:50 AM

my plan for this hand from 4th onwards:
call 4th, raise a good river. Otherwise just call river. If checked to, bet. Don't get 3 bet at any point.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:31 AM

Flop is fine, raising is ok here but I don't love it. He's got top 2, 55, or an oesd a lot here. I don't think he's limping utg w/Q9 so he's either got KQ or QTs and I don't think he's betting out w/any jacks. An oesd is possible but again I dont know how likely he is to bet out w/it. On the turn I like a call b/c getting 3 bet again sux. On the river he's pretty much turning his hand over as QJ so you've gotta bet. He def wants to call here
Old 11-23-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You say he's aggro, but you also say your flop read is TPGK or top two. If you really think he has that, I don't know what the raise is about. If he has QJ, AQ, KQ, and he's playing aggressively, you are basically staring down the barrel of a 3 pop most of the time, along with a re-lead on the turn. Without the read, just knowing he's aggressive, I like the flop raise. After that, given the hand as it was, I raise the turn, because I want to know if it's two pair. As played, I bet the river always, and expect to see KQ or an annoyed QJ a lot.

Other things: you say aggr., but more info about pf raising standards would be good. Also, I'm assuming this is AKo w/o Kc, b/c that would change things too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry forgot mention that, but I didn't have the Kc in my hand. If I did, is that an auto 3-bet?

From what I've seen, he's been playing pretty tight upfront, and ultra-agressive in CO/Button, re-raising for isolation after a late position raise and some early position limpers. (e.g. He 3-bet on Button w/middle pair on more than one occasion)
Old 11-23-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, bet the river. Don't worry so much about whether he will call with a worse hand. That's billy's job. Your job is to realize you are almost always best, and to bet your hand.

The turn is interesting, because Billy should have very few outs against you. If he has KQ, , or QT, or JT, he is drawing to 2 outs. If he has QJ, you are drawing to 12 outs. If he has a set of fives, AJ, or AQ, then you are drawing to

7 outs. Overall, you can't fold to a 3 bet on the turn, and it is unlikely you can make 3bb total from him (him calling your turn raise plus paying off on river ui) so calling seems best on 4th street, and the pot is not ginormous, so you don't need to encourage him to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have miscalculated the outs in your analysis unless I am missing something. Did you forget to consider the straight draw for villian. Did you assume the good guy had a flush draw on the turn?
Old 11-23-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have miscalculated the outs in your analysis unless I am missing something. Did you forget to consider the straight draw for villian. Did you assume the good guy had a flush draw on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's def the last time I hire Mason Malmuth to edit my post.