Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 10:37 PM

Default Re: The Ultimate Fighter / UFC thread

[ QUOTE ]
i am still in the middle of watching every ufc fight i can get my hands on, but would just like to say that rich franklin is (was?) sick. first time i saw him was the silva fight so i didn't really understand how impressive that victory was for silva, but i just watched a bunch of franklin's earlier fights where he just destroys good competition and i was pretty impressed. (i think you made a post about his credentials somewhere after the silva fight, mikey, so that's why i checked him out). i watched him vs tanner/shamrock/quarry/dewees/mcdonald and jorge rivera. wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the risk of redundancy/namedropping, I just want to reiterate something germane given lapoker's point above. I've trained with Rich Franklin, completely humbling experience. That he can be completely dismantled is truly mindblowing.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:41 PM

And yes, Mike Goldberg has irked me as long as I remember. Talk about somebody in the right place/time. He clung to a position that no one else would consider, and now he'd --understandably-- never relinquish it.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:30 AM

So, how are these fights to watch in person? I was thinking about going to the one in December. The tickets are amazingly expensive, so I won't be able to sit very close. It seems like you'd miss a lot of the subleties of grappling, whereas you can see them easily on tv.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:42 AM

Otis,

I don't know what you want me to tell you. I would assume you think Floyd Mayweather is a boring boxer too. I enjoy watching high level guys fight. Machida and Okami are definitely high level MMA fighters. I don't need to see 100% action from bell-to-bell (though I do enjoy it).

Unfortunately for you, I would assume Okami gets a title shot after Hendo/Silva barring the UFC bring anyone in. And if Machida gets through Sokoudjou and whoever they give him afterwards, he's probably due for one too.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:44 AM

Also, I just got finished with my first Beatpaths type graph for MMA and started a blog today. Here's the link if you're interested: http://fightlines.wordpress.com

I'd really enjoy hearing some comments and criticisms so check it out if you have a chance (mods: I don't have any ads on the site, but I'll understand if you have to remove it).

pig4bill,

While I think going to the December card might be worth going just for the atmosphere, I don't think I'd enjoy paying an exorbitant amount of money for a seat far from the cage. I'd have to imagine MMA is a sport best watched on TV.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:11 AM

Mikey, this graph/fightlines is incredible, it's gonna take me days to take it all in. I bookmarked your site fyi.

Btw, I saw the Okami fight with Franklin, he deserves a title shot in the most shallow of divisions after hendo/silva. But I am definitely with Otis in spirit though. Guys who are able to finish and are good should have an extra leg up on the guys who rely on decisions/can't finish fighters. Okami is clearly due, so is Karo, but Machida? Imo thiago silva should fight again very soon and be propelled to a big fight vs one of the gatekeepers of the LHD. Now that's a finisher.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:48 AM

apparently M-1 is hosting a huge MMA-show in japan using former Pride staff and the the fighter-list is really shaping up.

Fighters confirmed for the event:

Fedor Emelianenko
Joachim Hansen
Ricardo Arona
Gilbert Melendez
Luiz Azeredo
Aoki Shinya
Kazuo Misaki
TatsuyaKawajiri
Hayato "Mach" Sakurai
Mitsuhiro Ishida
Hasegawa Hidehiko

sources:

http://mmamanjapan.blogspot.com/2007...rarena-is.html

PRIDE NEVER DIE!!! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2007, 06:26 AM

That is a sick lineup. UFC blew it when they didn't give contracts to those guys. Will M1 use Pride rules/judging?
Old 11-22-2007, 06:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That is a sick lineup. UFC blew it when they didn't give contracts to those guys. Will M1 use Pride rules/judging?

[/ QUOTE ]

from what I've read earlier that is what they have been striving for so I suppose so.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Otis,

I don't know what you want me to tell you. I would assume you think Floyd Mayweather is a boring boxer too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um no? It's not like this is some kind of rare opinion, I've heard many other people (including Mike Swick) say wow this guy is boring.

Watch the first two rounds of the Rich Franklin fight and tell me how exciting he is.

[ QUOTE ]
I enjoy watching high level guys fight. Machida and Okami are definitely high level MMA fighters. I don't need to see 100% action from bell-to-bell (though I do enjoy it).

[/ QUOTE ]

For me it has to do with wanting to finish the fight. Machida actively seems to want to go for decisions, I mean ooh look he's talented look at him go to that decision. Man he's so fast stick and move and look at that lack of killer instinct he's truly a point fighter. If I wanted to see point fighting I'd get into Wing Chun or something.

If the UFC agreed with you that this was awesome I think they'd pay out a bonus for decision of the night just like they do for KO of the night and submission of the night.

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately for you, I would assume Okami gets a title shot after Hendo/Silva barring the UFC bring anyone in.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not unfortunate for me. Seeing Silva beat this guy into retardation would be exciting. If you've seen their first fight it was pretty much going that way. If Okami gets the takedown he still won't do any damage bc he won't be able to pass guard.

[ QUOTE ]
And if Machida gets through Sokoudjou and whoever they give him afterwards, he's probably due for one too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't think they'll give him one, Okami has a better shot bc 185 is thin, there are a lot of guys at 205 they can line up. Unless Machida starts finishing people he won't get one anytime soon.
Closed Thread