Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 11-16-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Tight old guy actually bets

Bay 101 20/40:

Probably a boring hand, but I've been trying different lines lately.

SB: loose retarded fish
BB: old white guy who plays extremely-tight preflop, but can get tricky/aggressive postflop. However, he's been folding himself to death for the last hour or so and he might be getting tired of me stealing his blinds.
Me: I've been open-raising in LP nearly every chance I get, so my image is probably that I'm a punk kid stealing too much.

Preflop: I open K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in cutoff, SB loose-fish calls. BB thinks for a bit and finally calls. This is not good for me.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB looks like he's thinking about betting, but he checks. BB checks, I check.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB looks at me suspiciously and checks, BB fumbles for a second and bets. I raise, SB folds, BB quickly calls.

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. BB checks, I check.

Standard? Preflop too loose? Flop check too weak? Turn raise too much? River check missed bet? The only reason I considered betting the river was so I didn't have to show my hand so people don't think I'm even more of a steal-monkey than I actually am.

I have a hard time quantifying the value of not having to show my hand.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Tight old guy actually bets

Flop check to weak! If you start strong, follow through with it. If they have a medium pocket pair 66 and up or a 7, then you are only drawing to your Kings, for 3 outs. Take a shot at the pot, you don't have any other way to take it down!

As played, I'd probably outright fold to his turn bet. The only way a raise is worthwhile is if he is specifically on a club flush draw or if your play style would frequently include checking behind when you hit flops hard. (I.E. our raise represents the A and he gives you credit for trips and folds hands like 66, or anything with a 7)

As you played to the river, I would check behind and hope he is a busted draw. I don't mind having a tarnished image in cash games. Play a strong hand the same way, and the someone might play back at you, remembering that you can get busy with K5s.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:40 PM

With minimal fold equity, I think you can deposit this hand preflop from the CO
Old 11-16-2007, 07:03 PM

PF is an easy raise. Id just bet the flop too. You take it down too often to consider doing anything else. Even when you say that the fish looks like hes thinking about betting, its possible that you could've misinterpretted his action and he may be thinking about whatever it is fish think about.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is fair. Slim value with this hand. I certainly raise, as playing live is boring enough without folding Kxs here.

The check behind is fine sometimes. I'm much more likely to use the exact line you took in a HU or 3handed GAME, not pot. Here, I think Nina is correct. You win too often by just betting, so might as well bet. If you give them the chance to pair the turn, they'll look you up usually.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is fair. Slim value with this hand. I certainly raise, as playing live is boring enough without folding Kxs here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a really crappy reason for playing a hand, but I do it too [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I think as played, fold to the BB's turn bet. But I agree with everyone else that you have to bet the flop here. You take it down way too often with a bet. Anyway, when BB c/r your flop bet you can fold.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FE is the least important factor in playing this hand. Your cards, how aggressive the blinds are, and how well they play post flop are most important factors in deciding whether to open from late position.

We have a decent hand. Its live so you wont encounter aggressive blind defenders too often(I regularly see people cold call AJo in the SB in this spot). SB is established as a loose playing fish. BB is extremely tight, which I understand to mean that he's going to under-defend his BB. Getting HU with the fish is a very likely and very desirable result. I really think folding pf is a mistake.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:09 AM

BB really under-defended his blind, he is one of the tightest players I've ever played against preflop. He probably defends less than 25% of the time. SB was pretty loose, but even he would occasinally fold his SB (maybe 1/3 of the time).

The flop check I don't ordinarily do, but with SB thinking about doing something on the flop and definitely being behind BB's range, I figured I'd mix it up this time.

What about the turn raise?
Old 11-17-2007, 04:04 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

You lose to a seven like every single time here.

Just bet the damn flop though! Try to look nonchalant.