Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 11:05 PM

Default Re: Scotty Nguyen says High Stakes Poker is fake? (x-post from t.v.)

It's real and it's spectacular!
Old 11-09-2007, 11:37 PM

Yeah, I'm gonna listen to anything Scotty Nguyen says about a cash game.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:43 PM

If the game were 'fake', there are two possibilites with the latter being more likely. 1. GSN is running a completely fake game where no money changes hands (this possibility can be pretty well refuted, as has been done in this thread) or 2. many or all of the players have worked out an agreement where they give back each other's money after the game, content with collecting the hourly wage and the coveted TV time. In the latter scenario, most likely it would be among only the players that know each other very well, which would exclude the rich whales, the online noobs, etc. As far as they knew, the game would be on the up and up.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2)"Cross-booking" - a player owns X% of another player. Theoretically if there was 10 players, and each player owned 10% of all other 10% the game could be 0 risk. Simply put, we dont know that it is real or fake, but rather that it may not be 100% as it appears.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not what cross booking means. What you are describing would be "swapping percentages".

Also, while I cannot be 100% as I have never played on it, I'm about as close as you can be to certain that the show is quite real.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm gonna listen to anything Scotty Nguyen says about a cash game.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude scotty is a real pro. a [censored] CARD shark. CARDS, the things you hold in your hand, not some [censored] online computer simulation. He knows wtf hes talking about!
Old 11-10-2007, 12:43 AM

IMHO I don't think HSP is fake, and I agree with an earlier poster that if it is fake, the players deserve oscars.

In comparison, I do question PAD. They must have deals made ahead of time, etc. There is NO EMOTION on there EVER. There is TV drama, but no emotions tied to the cards. Plus in reading so many of their books, blogs etc. what makes the WSOP so great is the EXACT opposite of PAD. Huge fields of fish versus 6 sharks, WINNER TAKE ALL?!?!?! Seriously?! Who would get in this game repeatedly without a greater respect for the winners. Hansen has 3 WPT titles, Doyle, Chan and Helmuth are sick with their 31 WSOP bracelets, but if PAD is legit, from top to bottom, I am more impressed with these winners ESPECIALLY at super tough tables. Not to beat this horse more, but how many times have you heard pros talk about what a bad table they drew at this tournament or the next, those are, with exception for the big HORSE tourney, for much less than the $20,000 or $50,000 required for PAD. AND THIS IS WINNER TAKE ALL, alledgedly.

I say HSP real, PAD questionable.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im sure its legit, but that being said....

1)Anyone who knows anything about show bussiness, sports, employment contracts etc knows there is certain things players (employees) can't say to participate. Im sure in the contract where they get their appearance fee there is a "can not disclose "x" details"... this would include saying the show is not real... If you say something the show can probably file suit for the apperance fee they offered.
2)"Cross-booking" - a player owns X% of another player. Theoretically if there was 10 players, and each player owned 10% of all other 10% the game could be 0 risk. Simply put, we dont know that it is real or fake, but rather that it may not be 100% as it appears.
3) The game may be -ev as it is surly not the easieast game in town... but since the players get an appearance fee the game may be breakeven, or even +ev for some... This factor ways in some, but i dont see how it would constitute the game being "fake"...

[/ QUOTE ]

first of all if everyone had 10% of everyone it would just reduce the stakes by 10%... There would be no "zero risk".

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:09 AM

[x]Scotty Nguyen feels important in Tulsa, OK
[ ]Scotty Nguyen has a clue
Old 11-10-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im sure its legit, but that being said....

1)Anyone who knows anything about show bussiness, sports, employment contracts etc knows there is certain things players (employees) can't say to participate. Im sure in the contract where they get their appearance fee there is a "can not disclose "x" details"... this would include saying the show is not real... If you say something the show can probably file suit for the apperance fee they offered.
3) The game may be -ev as it is surly not the easieast game in town... but since the players get an appearance fee the game may be breakeven, or even +ev for some... This factor ways in some, but i dont see how it would constitute the game being "fake"...

[/ QUOTE ]

first of all if everyone had 10% of everyone it would just reduce the stakes by 10%... There would be no "zero risk".

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

think about it and get back to me. or better yet do the math
Old 11-10-2007, 01:16 AM

PAD is a $20,000 sng. it's mostly TV players and other such personalities on there. i doubt the partipants put up the full buy in.

HSP is deffo real imo. it's not like we saw someone lose $50 million and then question how they can afford that kind of money. just adding up tournament winnings can account for the money present for most of the players.